Issue restoreing Aspire tablet(Aspire sw5-012)

harrisj
harrisj Member Posts: 5 New User
edited February 2019 in Tablets

I have an Aspire sw5-012 that will no longer boot from the main system. I do not have any of the media that came with the device when I purchased it so I have nothing to restore or recover from. I have created a bootable USB Flash drive to try and reinstall windows 8.1 but nothing is working when trying to do install. How do I get my system restored back to factory without being able to get it to boot?"

Answers

• Jack22
    Jack22 ACE Posts: 3,735 Pathfinder
    @harrisj
    1.Turn on your computer and press <Alt> + <F10> during startup. 
    screen appears asking you to choose the keyboard layout.
    2.Several options are now presented. Click Troubleshoot.
    3.Click either Refresh your PC or Reset your PC.

"Refresh your PC" enables you to restore your computer to the default factory
    condition with files intact. "Reset your PC" completely removes all your files
    and resets your computer to factory settings

Click on 'Yes' if the comment answers your question!
    Click on 'Yes' if the comment answers your question!
  • harrisj
    Type your commentThis does not work for me. I immediately get the Windows Boot Manager error screen
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,672 Trailblazer
    Sounds like you may have issues with the drive. What is the specific error that comes up? Can you get into the BIOS?
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • harrisj
    I keep seeing comments about getting int the BIOS and the best I have been able to do is get in to a point where I see basic settings but nothing related to being able to change BIOS settings. Not sure what I am missing but it is rather frustrating.

The error I am getting now seems to be related to missing boot manager. I have tried to boot from USB Flash but even then I am unable to get things to install. Isn't there an easy way from Acer's support site to just download a simple recovery process that can be installed on the Flash drive and applied to the system?
  • harrisj
    When I boot from USB Flash and go to command line it appears that the internal drive is intact, I see files and directories. When I run diskpart and check it appears that there are partitions available but the one marked as Primary appears to have issues so I am unable to install to it. When I try to do a Reset I get message Unable to Reset PC. A required drive partition is missing.
  • billsey
    Yeah, the reset assumes there is a partition with a Windows image. That takes up too much room on a lot of these models. To get into the BIOS on your model I believe you just press F2 a bunch of times as soon as the Acer logo shows up.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • harrisj
    Can anyone tell me how I can get my hands on a restore/recovery set of media so I can just simply get my device back to original factory? Nothing that is being suggested seems to work. I can't get into BIOS, can't reset or restore and seem to be stuck. All I want is to get something that I can plug in and just simply restore back to original factory state
  • billsey
    If we assume the drive is working (and that might be a bit of a stretch) then you just need a recovery media set. Acer has those in their store, or if not for your locale then you can get them from Acer support.
  • GIRISHKUMAR
    GIRISHKUMAR Member Posts: 2 New User
    I HAVE ACER ASPIRE SWITCH 10, I DELETED THE WINDOWS 8 AS WAS CORRUPT, NOW I AM TRYING TO INSTALL WINDOWS 8.1 32 BITS FROM BOOTABLE USB PREPARED WITH RAFUS, BUT WHEN I SELECT USB HDD OR USB CD ROM FROM BIOS IT DOSE NOT BOOT FROM USB AND THE MESSAGE COMES ON THE SCREEN IS ''DEFAULT BOOT DEVICE IS MISSING 0R BOOT FAIL INSERT THE RECOVERY MEDIA AND HIT ANY KEY THAN SELECT BOOT MANAGER'' PLS HELP ME SO THAT I CAN LOAD WINDOWS 8.1 32 BIT.
  • billsey
    It sounds like you either haven't got the BIOS set right or the install flash drive didn't get setup correctly. You need to have Secure boot disabled and the F12 boot menu enabled in the BIOS. You need to have Rufus configured to make the flash drive a GPT/UEFI type.