Acer Helios 300 PH317-52 == Should i upgrade my GPU driver to latest ?

Cicatrix
Cicatrix Member Posts: 3 New User
edited November 2023 in 2019 Archives
Actually this is a general question. I remember from my old wood laptop that i should always use the manufacturer`s drivers especially for GPUs.. 

My Helios came with 388.73 GPU driver. Should i upgrade it and should i always keep it up to date or always use the manufacturer`s drivers?

Best Answer

• ven98
    ven98 ACE Posts: 4,073 Pathfinder
    Answer ✓
    There could be tiny performance difference between the new and the old drivers. The new drivers add better optimisations for the newer games, but in many cases there are newer drivers that perform worse than the older ones, which also depends on the GPU's archtecture. In your case the drivers that are provided by Acer should in theory be better optimised for the GPU on your device, but they are quite old and you may experience issues on newer games. For example Battlefiled 5 requires to have 416.34 or newer in order to run it.
    Always post the following characterisitcs of the device:
    -Model number
    -Part number(not required, but helpful)
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

Helios 300 and Nitro 5 users DO NOT update the BIOS to version 1.22 if you don't want the keyboard's backlight to turn off after 30 seconds even when the device is plugged in.

Hit 'Like' if you find the answer helpful!   
    Click on 'Yes' if the comment answers your question!

Answers

• Jack22
    Jack22 ACE Posts: 3,735 Pathfinder
    @Cicatrix
    Acer recommends the user to use the manufactures drivers.
    Inorder to install any driver check the below link
    https://www.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/drivers

• Cicatrix
    Cicatrix Member Posts: 3 New User
    Thank you for your answer. Can u expand it please? 

What if i upgrade and keep my drivers up to date in performance wise what would happen? Good or bad?
  • ven98
    ven98 ACE Posts: 4,073 Pathfinder
    Answer ✓
    There could be tiny performance difference between the new and the old drivers. The new drivers add better optimisations for the newer games, but in many cases there are newer drivers that perform worse than the older ones, which also depends on the GPU's archtecture. In your case the drivers that are provided by Acer should in theory be better optimised for the GPU on your device, but they are quite old and you may experience issues on newer games. For example Battlefiled 5 requires to have 416.34 or newer in order to run it.
    Always post the following characterisitcs of the device:
    -Model number
    -Part number(not required, but helpful)
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

Helios 300 and Nitro 5 users DO NOT update the BIOS to version 1.22 if you don't want the keyboard's backlight to turn off after 30 seconds even when the device is plugged in.

Hit 'Like' if you find the answer helpful!