i need information on my Acer Aspire AX3910-U3012 Desktop before upgrading it

Options
matthew_zenn
matthew_zenn Member Posts: 16 Troubleshooter
edited March 1 in 2020 Archives
i got and old Acer Aspire AX3910-U3012 Desktop from my school. I intend to upgrade it to a gaming computer, but I need some information first.
i'm not concerned with anything regarding size, i'll be getting a new case(that supports micro-atx mounts) and a new power supply. my questions are; what pci slot does the board have for the video card, and is the cpu replaceable? note that I am aware that the cpu is soldered, but I was told that acer custom makes the cpus to fit the exact model, is this true or can I find a different kind that has more than two cores?

Best Answer

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,722 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    Options
    The X3910 shouldn't have the processor soldered in, there should be a socket. Supported processors are:

Intel Pentium Core 2 Quad Q6600/Q8200/Q8300/Q9300/Q9400/Q9550/Q9650 processor
    Intel Pentium Core 2 Duo E7400/E7500/E8500/E8600 processor
    Intel Pentium Dual-Core E2220/E5200/E5300/E5400 processor
    Intel Celeron Dual-Core E1400/E1500 processor

Needless to say the Q models are best. There is a PCI express x16 slot for a graphics card, but there might be a limit as to the memory size on that card. It's likely best to stick with something older instead of the latest.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.

Answers

• billsey
    Answer ✓
    Options
    The X3910 shouldn't have the processor soldered in, there should be a socket. Supported processors are:

Intel Pentium Core 2 Quad Q6600/Q8200/Q8300/Q9300/Q9400/Q9550/Q9650 processor
    Intel Pentium Core 2 Duo E7400/E7500/E8500/E8600 processor
    Intel Pentium Dual-Core E2220/E5200/E5300/E5400 processor
    Intel Celeron Dual-Core E1400/E1500 processor

Needless to say the Q models are best. There is a PCI express x16 slot for a graphics card, but there might be a limit as to the memory size on that card. It's likely best to stick with something older instead of the latest.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • matthew_zenn
    Options
    after opening up my computer and looking at the system specs, i can confirm that the socket is pci Ex16. however, the chip is an APU from AMD and it's attacked with a weird plastic frame that's bolted to the board
  • billsey
    Options
    Look carefully at that plastic piece. Do you just bend one part aside to remove the card? If so it likely is just the normal locking tab. Be aware that machine is almost certainly old enough that the x16 slot will support no more than 2GB on the GPU, so pick a card old enough. :)
  • matthew_zenn
    Options
    the locking part on the apu uses spring loaded plastic bolts. i've also decided that it's better to build a new pc from scratch and just migrate over the hard drive and optical drive. the only reason being that since it''s an APU and not a CPU, i'd be LOSING potential by adding a graphics card.
  • TSHORT
    TSHORT Member Posts: 1 New User
    Options

Need help trying to install windows 10 on my AX4910-U4022 but keep getting fail in the SAFE_OS phase with error during APPLY_IMAGE OPERATION does anyone know the fix?

• billsey
    Options
    Installing from scratch or doing an upgrade from a previous OS? What size HDD do you have and how is it partitioned right now?
  • matthew_zenn
    Options
    Wish I could help but my school put a new win10 hdd before they gave it to me. So I can’t help with how but I do know it works.
  • TIMJM009
    TIMJM009 Member Posts: 1 New User
    Options
    Hi Im new to this site but I have the same pc you have . Ive noticed it says E6600 for the Pentium processor looking it up its a 2 core 3ghz.  Its got a 1tb hdd and it had a gforce 315 ddr3 512 ram. that's about the biggest card you can fit in that case . The fan and heat sink will come off to expose the cpu which should have the lever to remove it as with mine. Definitely not ugradeable for gaming but its not bad as a workstation . I haven't checked if it will support a ssd instead of hdd . that would be faster. max memory seems to be 8 gb . Good luck with your new pc build