Helios 500 Keyboard backlight colour problem G9-793

13»

Answers

• Phoenix1966
    Phoenix1966 Member Posts: 71 Devotee WiFi Icon
    edited June 2019
    Just to add some info/confirmation, I have a G9-793 (purchased new at the end of 2016) and had that teal green issue right out of the gate. I am long since out of warranty to get it (possibly) addressed, but I just wanted to let you know that other models have had this issue, too
  • Anth_005
    Anth_005 Member Posts: 1 New User
    Hi Everyone

Firstly, thankyou for everyone who has contributed to the discussion so far.  Secondly, I apologise for the lengthy message, but I’m hoping to shed some light on this issue. I discuss another issue that I’m currently having that may be linked to the colour issue. Both issues concern the keyboard backlight.

If anyone can help me with my other issue, that would be very greatly appreciated.

I purchased my Helios 500 in September 2018 and I have the exact same colour problem. 

I actually noticed the colour issue today in researching another problem that I’m having with the keyboard (which is discussed shortly) and stumbled across this thread. My colour issue is exactly like the 2nd picture that HAL_9007 posted in the 1st message on 19 Feb.

I can’t recall when the colour issue started, however I would have definitely noticed it when I first bought it, which leads me to believe that it’s a software issue due to either a window update or third-party update, i.e., acer drivers/software. 

Being that I bought it in September 2018, the laptop was only recently released in Australia so maybe the initial versions of the drivers did not have the problem, but in updating either windows or the acer drivers/predator software, an issue may have resulted.

Now for my original issue:
    The problem that I’m having is that when the laptop is woken from sleep mode (by pressing a button on the laptop keyboard), the LEDs and Macro keys do not light up. This is not all the time however, and estimate that this happens about 70% of the time. Interestingly, sometimes the keyboard LEDs won’t turn on, but the macros will, and sometimes neither.  This is until, I open PredatorSense, navigate to the “lighting” section of the software and select another lighting profile. Once I do that, all the lights on the keyboard will always light up per normal.  

This problem does not occur when the computer boots from an off state, however I have not tested this many times.

This started happening for me around Mid June 2019, around the same time my computer installed a windows update. This could be coincidence.

If I had to take a guess, I’d say that the Predator software has a bug or is not working correctly with most recent/updated version of windows 10.

If anyone can help me the ‘waking up issue’ I would be forever grateful.  

Please let me know if there is any other information I can provide to assist you in helping me out.

Many thanks 

• NiteNinja
    NiteNinja Member Posts: 50 Devotee WiFi Icon
    I can replicate that on mine too, as my computer is usually closed as a desktop replacement configuration and I always use sleep mode. I never really thought anything of it, but it looks cooler with all the shiny lights lit up. Hitting the function key combination to cycle the backlights will light the macro keys again. 
  • GunYari
    GunYari Member Posts: 11

Tinkerer

edited December 2019
    My laptop is Helios 500 AMD PH517-61~
    My headphone jack's a little strange, it takes a little while after I plugged my headphones for my laptop to switch from speaker to headphone, I wonder if that's only me.
    I need to wait like 5-10 second (switch headphone) to play music.
    Wait for the speakers to switch to earphone every time. why? ? can play it right away? (Switch headphone)
    help me~~Please. Thanks
  • Firewalker
    Firewalker Member Posts: 16 Troubleshooter
    GunYari,
    Better to make a new post about this issue. Or search to see if a similar topic exists and post in there.
    This is one is about keyboard backlight issue and it's better to not mix stuff up, makes it easier for people to find relevant info and reply ;)
  • xapim
    xapim ACE Posts: 7,257 Pathfinder
    @GunYari please search the community for similar issues as yours im pretty sure you'll find something and lastly if not open another thread about it to not confuse everyone as mentioned above 

https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/11532543

UserBenchmarks: Game 43%, Desk 61%, Work 40%
    CPU: Intel Core i5-7300HQ - 63.5%
    GPU: Nvidia GTX 1050-Ti (Mobile) - 41.9%
    SSD: WDC WDS200T2B0B-00YS70 2TB - 71.4%
    HDD: WD WD10SPZX-00HKTT0 1TB - 93.7%
    RAM: Kingston HyperX DDR4 2666 C15 2x16GB - 76.8%
    MBD: Acer Predator G3-572

I'm not an Acer employee. (just here to help in the best way i can)
    If my answer fixed you issue please accept it for any other users who search for it would find it quickly thanks :)
    If you want to learn more about undervolting/optimizing windows join the Predator fb group and youtube channel:

Owner/Admin (HOTEL HERO/Red-Sand/Opoka Opoka)
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/PredatorHelios300
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCNJwGUHxSJ8FKqAhnOqQuAw
    Acer support:
    https://www.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/service-contact
    http://www.acer.com/worldwide/support/  

• morrison8996
    morrison8996 Member Posts: 36 Die Hard WiFi Icon
    I also have this problem... After 3 years of using this laptop I have no solution yet. Keyboard backlight colour is incorrect. I bought this laptop for 3k usd... after that I don't recommend to buy any Acer notebook, as well as MSI or Dell.
  • morrison8996
    GunYari said:
    My laptop is Helios 500 AMD PH517-61~
    My headphone jack's a little strange, it takes a little while after I plugged my headphones for my laptop to switch from speaker to headphone, I wonder if that's only me.
    I need to wait like 5-10 second (switch headphone) to play music.
    Wait for the speakers to switch to earphone every time. why? ? can play it right away? (Switch headphone)
    help me~~Please. Thanks
    not only you, I have this problem also
  • finch5
    finch5 Member Posts: 17 Troubleshooter
    I bought my helios 500 Ph517-61 back in Nov 2018 and JUST noticed that my keyboard back light colours were off after I removed my silicon keyboard protector and for some random reason I noticed the colour difference.

Found this thread when i googled "helios 500 keyboard back light issue". SO YES, for SURE there is a problem with the colour accuracy of the keyboard backlight. Similar to the original poster, the colour accuracy does not really bother me, its just something that you cannot unsee when you see it. Very much like discovering a tiny dead pixel on a monitor that you just bought. haha.

So did anybody discovered any software fix for this issue thus far? Cheers.
  • Firewalker
    Firewalker Member Posts: 16 Troubleshooter
    Hey Finch5

There's no solution found so far as I know. I've had contact with Acer support about this and they claim to not know about this issue (which I find a bit hard to believe). I asked if it could be looked at but according to Acer my device would be unavailable for several weeks at least (covid thingy does not make it any better) and it has to be set up in the original config. Any alterations to the default setup would invalidate the issue for them.
    Since it's not a functional issue but merely a visual one, I'm not inclined to send it in anymore and just leave it like it is...
    I like the laptop a lot, but the limited bios features, lack of (bios) updates from Acer and the keyboard lighting issue make me doubt I'll buy Acer again next time.
  • HAL_9007
    HAL_9007 Member Posts: 10

Tinkerer

After all this time, I didn't find any solution. Im pretty positive this is software thing, but Acer just don't care, there are no new updates of bios whatsoever. Shame on them.

By the way, my warranty expired recently and temps got a little bit higher than 2 years ago, so i decided its time to repaste laptop. There was a huge carve on heatsink at the point of contact with cpu. I regret not making photo. Suprisingly, it didn't impact temps apparently, but how the hell did someone carve such a piece of metal and why did they assemble laptop with something like this. For a laptop is this price range its outrageous.
  • hyperinx
    hyperinx Member Posts: 1 New User
    Yeah, the correct blue color! I have tried this multiple times now and it works randomly after 2-5 toggle cycles.
    Could you tell me exactly, what should I do to change the color of keyboard to original? Btw, after I was banned by Acer admins i decided to forget about this company and any Windows based laptops.
  • GlitchedAtBirth
    GlitchedAtBirth Member Posts: 18 Troubleshooter
    Wanted to add my own observations regarding this issue. I hadn’t experienced any issues with my keyboard backlight RGB at all since I’d purchased my laptop. My keyboard didn’t gradually change, it was SUDDEN. In fact, it happened immediately after I experienced a Windows crash that required me to do a system reset. The first POST following the reset was when I got the mostly green LED color and not the custom blue I had created. While Predator sense has never been capable of ultra fine adjustments in the LED’s brightness, prior to my crash, it was capable of a much wider range than it currently allows me to adjust, especially for the blue. In my opinion, it appears the blue LED’s aren’t able to reach their original max brightness, however, from what I can tell, my red and green LED’s ARE able to reach max brightness, however, they have lost a great deal of adjustability. They now seem limited to 2-3 levels of brightness when I used to notice the LED color would get brighter in increments of about 20-25 when adjusting the custom colors. I used to be capable of blending the RGB LED’s into a fairly wide variety of color shades as a result. Now, it seems like Red and Green jump from off at 0 to about 50-60% at around 2-3 when it used to get there at about 125-150 or so. Blue appears to max out at its former 125-150 level. 
    From everything I’ve observed, it truly appears to be a calibration issue. Likely between the keyboard and BIOS where the reset caused the system to use my custom settings as a new baseline for calibration Instead of actually setting each zone to “zero” before resetting calibration. While I can understand how this can happen based on my personal experiences with setting up scenes on DMX controllers, I don’t know how to go about programming a reset script or .exe based off of the Predator Sense software. If anyone knows of another RGB program capable of making adjustments to the Helios 500 keyboard, do please share!
  • morrison8996
    edited July 2022
    I SOLVED THIS PROBLEM! 

This is problem with keyboard!!!

I changed the top of the laptop case. You can find it on Ebay, there are a lot of spare parts directly from Acer. The new part number is 6B. Q3NN7,031 that comes with UK version of laptop but mine comes with polish version 6B. Q3NN7,030. Nevertheless, it works great.

• HAL_9007
    HAL_9007 Member Posts: 10

Tinkerer

Hi, morrison8996.

Can you elaborate on what do you mean by solving backlight problem?

If you mean, you only replaced top chassis of laptop, it can hardly be called solving the problem.

Do you know what to do to fix it without need to replace parts?

I don't want to be rude. I'm just curious, if I understand you correctly.

I'm happy, you have your backlight back :)