Weird keyboard issues after gaming for a couple of hours Nitro AN515-51

nachowayne
nachowayne Member Posts: 2 New User
edited November 2023 in 2019 Archives
Was playing Assassin's Creed Origins on the couch the other day and after a while the tab key seemed like it was stuck. Just kept opening the quests menu when I would do anything. Closed the game out and the issue persisted in the OS. Was cycling through highlighting all of the icons on the taskbar. Had to force shutdown because I could not select anything in the start menu. Worked fine after restart, but the next day, the same type of thing happened with the alt key(used for climbing in the game). When I would hold the alt key down, it would act like I was holding the windows key. Worked fine after a restart again. 

Seems to be related to heat, since it does not happen unless I have been running the game for a while. Thinking about tearing it down to apply silver thermal paste to CPU and GPU to see if that helps. Just wondering if anyone else has seen this weird issue and if I should be worried about possible defects or if it is just getting too hot and needs better paste and possibly a cooling pad.

Have only had the laptop since last September but it was a gift from work so I don't have any kind of receipt, although I could probably get that if I need to talk to Acer about warranty issues. 

Nitro AN515-51 laptop

Thanks in advance for any input I can get from the community. 

Answers

• Jack22
    Jack22 ACE Posts: 3,652 Pathfinder
    edited February 2019
    @nachowayne
    There are few options to solve overheating like undervolting or applying thermal paste.

Thermal paste Tips:
    Apply as little thermal paste as possible on the CPU die, just enough to cover the CPU die with a thin layer. With MX-4 I suggest you to use the pea method(apply a little drop of thermal paste in the middle of the CPU die and please heatsink on top. Apply little pressure on the heatsink, which will spread the thermal paste around the die), as it works best for this thermal paste. When repasting with kryonaut, follow the guide that comes with the thermal paste, again you want to apply as little as possible.

Click on 'Yes' if the comment answers your question!

• Jack22
    Jack22 ACE Posts: 3,652 Pathfinder
    @nachowayne
    If you think ts keyboard than check for updates, uninstall the keyboard drivers and restart the unit an check.
    Since its a Nitro you need not have to worry much about the heat on the laptop. because
    Predator and Nitro products are engineered to withstand higher operating temperatures than traditional notebooks. These systems include features that help with cooling and heat dispersion. The CPU and GPU are designed to handle temperature spikes in excess of 98 degrees Celsius without causing damage to the components. It is common for PC temperatures to spike temporarily during heavy gaming or graphic usage. If the system encounters excessive temperatures that could damage the hardware, it will automatically shut down to protect the components from becoming damaged.