SSD installation Aspire Z3-715

Tallman72
Tallman72 Member Posts: 2 New User
edited February 2019 in Aspire and Veriton Desktops
Got an Acer Aspire Z3-715, any ideas as to how to replace the HDD and install a SSD instead? Thank you

Answers

• Balatekie
    Balatekie ACE Posts: 1,353 Pioneer
    edited February 2019
    Hi!!

@Tallman72,

Below is the SSD spec for your all in one computer model Aspire Z3-715. 

You have an option to install SSD in your computer along with HDD, which it came with in. If you are planning to replace the current HDD in your computer with a SSD, I recommend you to 1st create backup of your computer Operating System using Acer Care Center application in the computer. Please click here to get information about creating Operating System Backup. Using this created backup, you can load OS to the new SSD, which you are going to replace with HDD. 

As it is a All in One computer, the architecture of the unit is completely different when compared to a laptop. If you are well verse in handling components, you can proceed opening chasis of the unit. It is also recommended to contact Acer Technical Support and confirm whether opening unit and replacing component void warranty or not. 
     :) If you think I've answered your question, please hit the Accept Answer:)

• Tallman72
    Tallman72 Member Posts: 2 New User
    Thank you so much for your support. Mind if I ask you if you could elaborate more on keeping both drives running on the PC? How could I proceed with that. Currently doing the backup copy on the USB as per your instructions. Thanks again
  • Balatekie
    Balatekie ACE Posts: 1,353 Pioneer
    Tallman72 said:
    Thank you so much for your support. Mind if I ask you if you could elaborate more on keeping both drives running on the PC? How could I proceed with that. Currently doing the backup copy on the USB as per your instructions. Thanks again
    Yep... You can have actual factory installed HDD in the unit. Along with that you can buy anyone recommended SSD [shown on list] and install it to the M.2 slot in computer. 

:) If you think I've answered your question, please hit the Accept Answer:)

• Cecio
    Cecio Member Posts: 2 New User
    Hello guys,
    While checking my motherboard for compatibility with a ssd M.2 I noticed the hard drive (sata hdd) being plugged into a black socket. Just beside that there is a blue version of it. Is it faster than the black one? I'm not sure the original hdd can actually read at the spotted of the blue socket.

Shall I plug the HD into the blue one instead? 
  • StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 9,942 Trailblazer
    edited August 2021
    Tallman72 said:
    Got an Acer Aspire Z3-715, any ideas as to how to replace the HDD and install a SSD instead? Thank you
    The Aspire AIO Z3-715 can have the following drives:

2.5 inch spinner HDD or 2.5 inch SSD drives:

M.2  2242/2280

The 2.5 inch HDD or SSD is situated here:

Both Blue and Black SATA plugs are the same they are different in different colours to differentiate them from each other.

The M.2 SSD is situated here which is on the underside of the motherboard and where the CPU module plug is as shown here: