How to set up ThrottleStop?

Options
Destroya1221
Destroya1221 Member Posts: 43 Enthusiast WiFi Icon
edited November 2023 in 2019 Archives
I've been using XTU for quite some time now, but people here in the Acer community keep telling me that ThrottleStop is more popular and generally better, so I decided to start using it instead of XTU. I have an active undervolt of -0.145 on XTU. I set it to 0.00 (default - no undervolting at all) and exited the application and started it up again to check if the change has been saved, which it did. I now wanna know how to apply that undervolt on ThrottleStop. People have been talking about how dangerous it might get if one used both apps together and how it might cause bootloops or something like that. I wanna apply a -0.145 undervolt on ThrottleStop without having XTU interfere with it at all and making it as safe as possible such that it would, for example, reset it to default voltage if any instabilities occurred with the CPU, so help would be really appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Answers

• ven98
    ven98 ACE Posts: 4,073 Pathfinder
    Options
    If you want to use ThrottleStop why would you want to keep XTU?
    Always post the following characterisitcs of the device:
    -Model number
    -Part number(not required, but helpful)
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

Helios 300 and Nitro 5 users DO NOT update the BIOS to version 1.22 if you don't want the keyboard's backlight to turn off after 30 seconds even when the device is plugged in.

Hit 'Like' if you find the answer helpful!   
    Click on 'Yes' if the comment answers your question!

• Destroya1221
    Destroya1221 Member Posts: 43 Enthusiast WiFi Icon
    Options
    ven98 said:
    If you want to use ThrottleStop why would you want to keep XTU?
    I never said I should keep it. I removed its undervolt and set them back to normal values. Should I uninstall it now?
  • ven98
    ven98 ACE Posts: 4,073 Pathfinder
    Options
    Yes, you can uninstall it.
    Always post the following characterisitcs of the device:
    -Model number
    -Part number(not required, but helpful)
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

Helios 300 and Nitro 5 users DO NOT update the BIOS to version 1.22 if you don't want the keyboard's backlight to turn off after 30 seconds even when the device is plugged in.

Hit 'Like' if you find the answer helpful!   
    Click on 'Yes' if the comment answers your question!

• AlpineTom
    AlpineTom Member Posts: 58 Devotee WiFi Icon
    edited February 2019
    Options
    There's a really good video tutorial on how to use ThrottleStop to undervolt your laptop by Hotel Hero (he goes by a different name here on the Acer community forums, but I can't remember it off the top of my head -- sorry): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F1rs92CiYxU

However, you should uninstall Intel XTU and reboot before using ThrottleStop. And for checking if the undervolt took, I use CPUID Hardware Monitor which is a pretty good monitoring tool: https://cpuid.com/softwares/hwmonitor.html

• sri369
    sri369 ACE Posts: 2,623 Pathfinder
    Options
    AlpineTom said:
    There's a really good video tutorial on how to use ThrottleStop to undervolt your laptop by Hotel Hero (he goes by a different name here on the Acer community forums, but I can't remember it off the top of my head
    His name is @Red-Sand
    Karma...
    LIKE - if helpful
    ACCEPT - if helped resolve
    ---------
    Nitro 7 - AN715-51 - user benchmark: https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/37631045