What is the normal temperature while gaming on a Acer Nitro 5?

Options
Comrade_Brad
Comrade_Brad Member Posts: 46 Devotee WiFi Icon
edited February 2019 in Nitro Gaming
My brother was playing Batlefield 1 and the CPU temperature jumped to 92 degrees within 10 minutes of gameplay. The GPU temperature is around 70 degrees. Are these temperatures normal?
My Specs
i5 8300H
GeForce GTX 1060 

Answers

• ven98
    ven98 ACE Posts: 4,073 Pathfinder
    Options
    You can use HWiNFO for temperature monitoring, as it is more accurate than nitro sense. If the average CPU and GPU temperatures don't exceed 85C and 83C respectively, it is not something to worry about. You can use ThrottleStop to undervolt the CPU to reduce the temperatures. Many video guides explaining how to undervolt using ThrottleStop can be found on youtube.
    Always post the following characterisitcs of the device:
    -Model number
    -Part number(not required, but helpful)
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

Helios 300 and Nitro 5 users DO NOT update the BIOS to version 1.22 if you don't want the keyboard's backlight to turn off after 30 seconds even when the device is plugged in.

Hit 'Like' if you find the answer helpful!   
    Click on 'Yes' if the comment answers your question!

• Comrade_Brad
    Options
    ven98 said:
    You can use HWiNFO for temperature monitoring, as it is more accurate than nitro sense. If the average CPU and GPU temperatures don't exceed 85C and 83C respectively, it is not something to worry about. You can use ThrottleStop to undervolt the CPU to reduce the temperatures. Many video guides explaining how to undervolt using ThrottleStop can be found on youtube.
    I will download the application you mentioned in your comment tonight and see what results it will show. By the way, the maximum temperature had reached 98 degrees Celsius for CPU when my brother played Battlefield 1 for about 1 hours and 15 minutes. I don't think that's normal though. It's been 3 days I have been using this laptop and the temperatures are already too high.
  • ven98
    Options
    Yes, 98C isn't a good a temperature, as the CPU has to throttle itself down in order to make sure the temperature doesn't rise above 100C, which can reduce performance in games.
    -Model number
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

Helios 300 and Nitro 5 users DO NOT update the BIOS to version 1.22 if you don't want the keyboard's backlight to turn off after 30 seconds even when the device is plugged in.

• Comrade_Brad
    Options
    ven98 said:
    Yes, 98C isn't a good a temperature, as the CPU has to throttle itself down in order to make sure the temperature doesn't rise above 100C, which can reduce performance in games.
    Sometimes, there is unexpected drop in frames with the charging light flashing. It happened once yesterday. Is that what we called throttling down or has my temperature reached 100 degrees?
  • ven98
    Options
    If the battery percantage drops under 30%, the GPU performance is reduced. The CPU is already throttling when it reaches 98C and you will never see it go to 100C or higher, becuse when it does the system will automatically shut down. The charging light has nothing to do with the CPU.
    -Model number
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

• Comrade_Brad
    Options
    ven98 said:
    If the battery percantage drops under 30%, the GPU performance is reduced. The CPU is already throttling when it reaches 98C and you will never see it go to 100C or higher, becuse when it does the system will automatically shut down. The charging light has nothing to do with the CPU.
    Thanks for the information! I will come up with the temperature benchmarks tonight.
  • Comrade_Brad
    edited February 2019
    Options
    ven98 said:
    Thanks for the information! I will come up with the temperature benchmarks tonight.
    I actually shoot up the fans to Max in Nitrosense while gaming and the temperatures barely reach the lower 90s these days. I did a bit of searching on the web and seems like 90 degrees (maximum) ain't too high for Nitro considering its GPU focused thermal design. The average temperature for CPU remains around 80 degrees. The lower 90s are peaks on the graph. 
  • Shayan06071
    Shayan06071 Member Posts: 1 New User
    Options
    My brother was playing Batlefield 1 and the CPU temperature jumped to 92 degrees within 10 minutes of gameplay. The GPU temperature is around 70 degrees. Are these temperatures normal?
    My Specs
    i5 8300H
    GeForce GTX 1060 
    I'm using an Acer Nitro 5 with I5 9th Gen and 1660ti and if i let my laptop run normally, while gaming avg CPU temp stays between 89-92 and Gpu below 80. Otherwise, while working it is around 50's. So, I spoke to the Acer Technicians and did some research on my own, I learnt that Acer Nitro series is built to withstand high temperatures. The components will not damage easily. As long as the AVG temprature remains under 95 celsius.Just spikes to 95 and beyond are fine. 
  • PartlyDave
    PartlyDave Member Posts: 2 New User
    edited November 2021
    Options
    If you have issues with the thermals on your Acer nitro 5 (if you have one with stock paste, I know you do), then you should absolutely repaste the CPU/GPU. There's plenty of videos for people who don't know how or are afraid they'll break something, or if you can find a shop to do it for you pretty cheap probably. When I first opened up my nitro 5, I was appalled by the terrible thermal paste application done by Acer. Not only was there an ungodly amount, it was dang near the same as tooth paste rather than thermal paste. I high recommend ordering some thermal grizzly paste and getting your chips repasted. I was at 85c on any modern game even with the nitro sense on max fan mode. Now after repasting, with nothing open, my idle is around 40-50c, when playing a modern game it's around 65-70c and around 72-75c with a bunch of tabs open on browser as well as a game. The GPU temps under full load are sub 70c. I have a Ryzen 5 4600h + GTX 1650 model for reference. Acer isn't a great OEM but the price on these nitros is pretty affordable, so lots of people buy them, including myself for work and mobile gaming. If you do get your system repasted, and you are sitting at 93c, you should drop significantly down from that, especially if you use max fan mode on nitro sense. Best of luck to any future readers wondering why their laptop can forge weld steel.
  • PartlyDave
    PartlyDave Member Posts: 2 New User
    Options
    If you have issues with the thermals on your Acer nitro 5 (if you have one with stock paste, I know you do), then you should absolutely repaste the CPU/GPU. There's plenty of videos for people who don't know how or are afraid they'll break something, or if you can find a shop to do it for you pretty cheap probably. When I first opened up my nitro 5, I was appalled by the terrible thermal paste application done by Acer. Not only was there an ungodly amount, it was dang near the same as tooth paste rather than thermal paste. I high recommend ordering some thermal grizzly paste and getting your chips repasted. I was at 85c on any modern game even with the nitro sense on max fan mode. Now after repasting, with nothing open, my idle is around 40-50c, when playing a modern game it's around 65-70c and around 72-75c with a bunch of tabs open on browser as well as a game. The GPU temps under full load are sub 70c. I have a Ryzen 5 4600h + GTX 1650 model for reference. Acer isn't a great OEM but the price on these nitros is pretty affordable, so lots of people buy them, including myself for work and mobile gaming. If you do get your system repasted, and you are sitting at 93c, you should drop significantly down from that, especially if you use max fan mode on nitro sense. Best of luck to any future readers wondering why their laptop can forge weld steel.
    Also I shouldn't have to say this, but just in case, don't keep your laptop on any blankets, cloth, or anything that could obstruct the vents on the sides or bottom of the laptop. Keep it on a flat hard surface when gaming.