Helios 500 gaming temperature

Staydilated
Staydilated Member Posts: 3 New User
edited November 2023 in 2019 Archives
Hey guys, 

I just bought a helios 500 i7/1070

I've been playing Ace Combat 7. With fans on auto, coolboost off (the setting I prefer. Fan noise is really important to me), I get 78-80 CPU temps, and 65 on the gpu. Is this normal? I read another user had gaming temps at 70/50 respectively, with quiet fans. 

Either way, with coolboost on, I've noticed that surface temps are pretty high, the wasd keys can sizzle my fingers. 

Do I have a defective product?

Appreciate any advice ^.^ 

Best Answer

• ven98
    ven98 ACE Posts: 4,073 Pathfinder
    Answer ✓
    Your temperatures are fine. As long as the temperature of the CPU and GPU doesn't go above 85C average and 83C average respectively there is nothing to worry about. You can select 'Turbo' profile for the CPU in predator sense, as it applies -125mV undervolt, which will further reduce temperatures.
    Always post the following characterisitcs of the device:
    -Model number
    -Part number(not required, but helpful)
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

Helios 300 and Nitro 5 users DO NOT update the BIOS to version 1.22 if you don't want the keyboard's backlight to turn off after 30 seconds even when the device is plugged in.

Hit 'Like' if you find the answer helpful!   
    Click on 'Yes' if the comment answers your question!

Answers

• Jack22
    Jack22 ACE Posts: 3,745 Pathfinder
    @Staydilated
    Predator and Nitro products are engineered to withstand higher operating temperatures than traditional notebooks. These systems include features that help with cooling and heat dispersion. The CPU and GPU are designed to handle temperature spikes in excess of 98 degrees Celsius without causing damage to the components. It is common for PC temperatures to spike temporarily during heavy gaming or graphic usage. If the system encounters excessive temperatures that could damage the hardware, it will automatically shut down to protect the components from becoming damaged.

• ven98
    Answer ✓
    Your temperatures are fine. As long as the temperature of the CPU and GPU doesn't go above 85C average and 83C average respectively there is nothing to worry about. You can select 'Turbo' profile for the CPU in predator sense, as it applies -125mV undervolt, which will further reduce temperatures.
    -Model number
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

Helios 300 and Nitro 5 users DO NOT update the BIOS to version 1.22 if you don't want the keyboard's backlight to turn off after 30 seconds even when the device is plugged in.

• Staydilated
    ven98 said:
    Thanks for the advice! I'll try turbo mode for my next gaming session. Is there anything I can do about surface temperatures?
  • ven98
    It is normal for the laptop chassis to get hot during long use. This is just one of the disadvantages of the gaming laptops and there is nothing that can be done about it, which doesn't involve reducing performance.
    -Model number
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

• Staydilated
    ven98 said:
    I checked my predatorsense, and while I see a turbo profile for the gpu, the CPU only has 'normal' 'high' and 'max'
  • ven98
    Then select the MAX profile.
    -Model number
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system