Nitro 5 with Nvidia GTX 1060

Brian68
Brian68 Member Posts: 4 New User
edited November 2023 in 2019 Archives
Hi I just bought this from Best Buy Canada on sale for $1349.00 CAD. Just received today. Just doing Windows updates but never had a chance to install any games yet.

It has IPS 144Hz screen and a GTX 1060 instead of the 1050 or 1050ti that seem to be found in all of the Nitro 5 models. Also has 256GB NVME and 1TB HDD.

I am curious why nobody is talking about this, no reviews, nothing. Seems like nobody really owns this other than one guy who bought it and left review on BB site. About the only thing I could find was some foreign YouTube videos, but they are showing a model with a predator emblem on the lid but the one I got does not have that.

A couple weeks ago I bought an Asus Scar locally for $1999 CAD which also had a 1060 but better CPU and RAM. I could not justify the price considering can get a 2060 for $2299 (if can actually find one) so I returned. I found this one and seems like it could be a good value for casual gaming that I want to do and save $1000.00 in the process. I also like the keyboard better than Scar and it is not as over-the-top design.

I'll post more info on it later after I test.

Best Answer

• Jack22
    Jack22 ACE Posts: 3,735 Pathfinder
    Answer ✓
    @Brain68
    Predator and Nitro products are engineered to withstand higher operating temperatures than traditional notebooks. These systems include features that help with cooling and heat dispersion. The CPU and GPU are designed to handle temperature spikes in excess of 98 degrees Celsius without causing damage to the components. It is common for PC temperatures to spike temporarily during heavy gaming or graphic usage. If the system encounters excessive temperatures that could damage the hardware, it will automatically shut down to protect the components from becoming damaged.
    Click on 'Yes' if the comment answers your question!

Answers

• ven98
    ven98 ACE Posts: 4,073 Pathfinder
    The predator laptop(helios 300) that you have seen has the same looks and overall is identical to nitro 5, but with the predator logo. This is probably why you can't find a review. Most people would just purchase the helios 300 over the nitro 5.
    Always post the following characterisitcs of the device:
    -Model number
    -Part number(not required, but helpful)
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

Helios 300 and Nitro 5 users DO NOT update the BIOS to version 1.22 if you don't want the keyboard's backlight to turn off after 30 seconds even when the device is plugged in.

Hit 'Like' if you find the answer helpful!   

• Comrade_Brad
    Comrade_Brad Member Posts: 46 Devotee WiFi Icon
    Does your Nitro 5 have 16 gigs of RAM? If yes (I'm pretty sure we are on the same side), we both have the same laptop and I too haven't heard about our laptop much in the web. 
  • Brian68
    The reviews I seen with that logo are net a helios 300. I think different foreign markets might have different variations.

I wouldn't pay $1599 right now for this, but $1349 I paid I consider is a good price (approx $1020 USD).

Here is the info for those who did not click the link:

Model Name: AN515-53-592T

Part Number: NH.Q4QAA.001

Processor Model: i5-8300H

GeForce® GTX 1060 6 GB

Windows 10 Home

Screen Resolution 1920 x 1080

Standard Refresh Rate 144 Hz

I noticed a tiny bit of backlight bleeding from LCD on bottom, but it seems to have gotten better after laptop warmed up after use (was out in -28C in my truck for part of the day). It is only barely noticeable when the laptop boots up during the green Acer logo with backlight on full. Even though gaming on this laptop won't be hitting 144Hz, it still makes a difference when using Windows... moving the mouse and windows around is very smooth compared to 60Hz displays. Viewing angle is great.

I got a chance to try a few games...
    Hitman, Battlefield V, and Resident Evil 2. All of them run great and look very good. Settings turned down a bit to be stable at 60+fps but on a 15.6" screen it isn't noticeable.

Fans come on louder when playing games but laptop doesn't feel very hot on top like some other brands I have tried. I will probably do a re-paste if I keep it.

The NVME drive is a bit slow... 1500MB read and just over 500MB write using Crystal DiskMark.

• Brian68
    Does your Nitro 5 have 16 gigs of RAM? If yes (I'm pretty sure we are on the same side), we both have the same laptop and I too haven't heard about our laptop much in the web. 

No, mine has 8GB RAM
  • Comrade_Brad
    Comrade_Brad Member Posts: 46 Devotee WiFi Icon
    Brian68 said:
    The reviews I seen with that logo are net a helios 300. I think different foreign markets might have different variations.

I wouldn't pay $1599 right now for this, but $1349 I paid I consider is a good price (approx $1020 USD).

GeForce® GTX 1060 6 GB

Windows 10 Home

I noticed a tiny bit of backlight bleeding from LCD on bottom, but it seems to have gotten better after laptop warmed up after use (was out in -28C in my truck for part of the day). It is only barely noticeable when the laptop boots up during the green Acer logo with backlight on full. Even though gaming on this laptop won't be hitting 144Hz, it still makes a difference when using Windows... moving the mouse and windows around is very smooth compared to 60Hz displays. Viewing angle is great.

Hitman, Battlefield V, and Resident Evil 2. All of them run great and look very good. Settings turned down a bit to be stable at 60+fps but on a 15.6" screen it isn't noticeable.

Fans come on louder when playing games but laptop doesn't feel very hot on top like some other brands I have tried. I will probably do a re-paste if I keep it.

The NVME drive is a bit slow... 1500MB read and just over 500MB write using Crystal DiskMark.

My CPU temperature is 98 degrees Celsius maximum while playing Battlefield 1. Do you think that's normal?
  • Brian68
    Brian68 said:

GeForce® GTX 1060 6 GB

Windows 10 Home

My CPU temperature is 98 degrees Celsius maximum while playing Battlefield 1. Do you think that's normal?
    Ok I just discovered this same thing last night. CPU as high as 98C and average around 90-95C while playing Resident Evil 2.
    I redid thermal paste with no difference. 
    I also had noticed stuttering/drops when playing games and I believe this may be due to thermal throttling of cpu. 

This is not normal and since you are having same issue leads me to believe it could be a design flaw and not something wrong with my particular unit. 

Im gonna reset and return - not wasting time on this. Thought I found a deal with this one. Will get something with at least 2060. 
  • Jack22
    Jack22 ACE Posts: 3,735 Pathfinder
    Answer ✓
    @Brain68
    Predator and Nitro products are engineered to withstand higher operating temperatures than traditional notebooks. These systems include features that help with cooling and heat dispersion. The CPU and GPU are designed to handle temperature spikes in excess of 98 degrees Celsius without causing damage to the components. It is common for PC temperatures to spike temporarily during heavy gaming or graphic usage. If the system encounters excessive temperatures that could damage the hardware, it will automatically shut down to protect the components from becoming damaged.