Acer Nitro AN515-42 Display issues with general usage and black screen crashing.

Options
Soorooj
Soorooj Member Posts: 2 New User
edited November 2023 in 2019 Archives
Hey guys. So I've recently bought this laptop from Currys just under 2 weeks ago and I'm having issues regarding display and the laptop randomly crashing. These issues have been here since I got the laptop. I've gone through a number of different ways to test these so bear with me please I'll try and structure this in a way that it makes sense.

The first issue is whenever I try to watch a video it will sometimes end up with part of the video player or all of it turning green or green/red (Image attached). This is easily reproducible. 
The thing with this issue is that if I screenshot it and paste said screenshot it appears fine. This is also on Google Chrome, I haven't ran into any kinds of these issues on Microsoft Edge when trying to do the same and I have no idea why. 

The second issue is with the gaming client for League of Legends. Every now and then when I close/bring focus to another app or screen that isn't the League of Legends client, parts of the screen will be completely blacked out. I have to hover/click over them with the mouse to get them back which doesn't bring it back all of the time (Image attached). This one is slightly harder to reproduce as I haven't found the exact trigger for it (if there is one) Again unsure why this happens, I wanted to chalk it up to the League of Legends client being substandard but my older laptop (7+ years) has no such issue with the client. 

The biggest issue is every now and then with general browsing and watching videos on YouTube leads to a black screen and the laptop crashing. I have to force shut down and reboot it. The laptop works fine after this is done but still frustrating as it is almost a daily occurrence. I haven't been able to reproduce this but it'll just happen on a moments notice. I first thought it was through videos but then it happened when I wasn't which threw that theory out the window.

Here's a list of things I've done so far with the first issue still being there (with the help of calling TeamKnowHow)
  1. Uninstalled both graphics cards devices and restarted
  2. Factory reset the laptop
  3. Checked for and Updated drivers and restarted
The first issue is still here, I haven't been able to test the League of Legends Client or keep it running to see what makes it crash. 

A few other things to note if it would be of any help. 
  • It's never crashed or had any issue running games, including the more demanding ones (GTA V, Apex Legends, PUBG)
  • We initially thought it was flicking(?) between trying to figure out what graphics card to use (Radeon RX 560X Series & AMD Radeon(TM) Vega 8 Graphics) but looking at the AMD Radeon Settings they appear to be locked to the correct things (RX560 X for gaming, Vega 8 almost everything else)
Any help would be grateful, leaning towards a hardware issue out of my hands from what I've been told so far but trying my luck here.

Thanks

Answers

• Curlikarli
    Curlikarli Member Posts: 1 New User
    Options
    I am also having the same issues, the screen turns green or sometimes it becomes pixelated with green and purple colours whenever I would be watching videos online. This only started occurring when my laptop, Nitro 5 AN515-42, updated recently. Would like to know what's up with and lmao been annoying already
  • Soorooj
    Soorooj Member Posts: 2 New User
    Options
    Hey, so after some more research and having support remote access my laptop, it just seems to be a hardware issue. They tried to update the AMD Radeon(TM) Vega 8 Graphics but couldn't find the actual card on the official website. And also noticed how the green screen on Chrome and LoL client are both linked due to possibly running HTML5 (what I was told). Made sense since I never got any of these issues when browsing on Edge or with other gaming clients.