Aspire 5750G won't turn with AC adapter plugged in - Turns on without AC adapter(Acer 5750G)

Vincentt
Vincentt Member Posts: 5 New User
edited August 2023 in 2019 Archives
I have a Acer Aspire 5750G.

I looked through this forum to find something similar but, didn't find anything that was close to it. The laptop stopped working a few weeks ago. It just turned off... although the screen was flickering at one point, figured it was the HDMI cable (I buy sh*tty quality cables). Tried to turn it on with the AC plugged in, but when I unplugged it, it powers on... so it runs on the battery without a hitch.

These are the symptoms....

WITHOUT BATTERY
- AC plugs in and power ON -> Power button + Harddrive indiciator lights up ONCE. Then nothing happens.

WITH BATTERY
- AC plugs in -> Charging indicator lights up for few seconds (happens seldom)

- AC plugs in and power ON -> Power button lights up ONCE + Harddrive indicator lights up ONCE. Charging indicator is NOT on.

- AC unplug and power ON -> Boots up normally.

Not sure what it is...

Best Answer

• Balatekie
    Balatekie ACE Posts: 1,353 Pioneer
    Answer ✓
    Hi @Vincentt,

I experienced an issue similar to you. I suspect it would be the actual adapter port, which is short circuiting the motherboard.

As a workaround, I recommend you to try charging the laptop with new identical adapter. If issue persists, it confirms to be hardware issue with adapter port in the laptop. If your computer is under warranty, please contact Acer technical Support in your region https://www.acer.com/worldwide/ 
     :) If you think I've answered your question, please hit the Accept Answer:)

Answers

• Vincentt
    Oh yeah...i tried this solution just a minute ago.

Remove battery, remove ac adapter and open the lid of the laptop and press the power button.

Keep it pressed for 15 seconds with no power source attached and then release it.

Put in the battery and plug in the adapter: It should work fine provided there is no further hardware damage or issue.

Worked for a 1 minute and then turns off...=(

• Balatekie
    Answer ✓
    Hi @Vincentt,

I experienced an issue similar to you. I suspect it would be the actual adapter port, which is short circuiting the motherboard.

As a workaround, I recommend you to try charging the laptop with new identical adapter. If issue persists, it confirms to be hardware issue with adapter port in the laptop. If your computer is under warranty, please contact Acer technical Support in your region https://www.acer.com/worldwide/ 

• Vincentt
    You are both right and wrong. But you sure slapped me in the right direction. I replaced with another adapter just to check and wiggle it (did it with the first adapter, no response), and now it charges... it turns out that the power socket is faulty. I have to angle it hard to make it charge. Thanks.

Orderded a DC connector from ebay.
  • Vincentt
    I have to reopen this thread again.

I just received a replacement DC power socket cable for my Acer 5750G. Opened everything up, changed it and reassembled it. Press power... nuthing. I did the same thing as I did i my first post, the troubleshooting part. Same thing happened. This time I could not use the other adapter even though I angled it. Figures... the pin is slightly different.

Opened it up again, and tested the dc power cable with the AC plugged in and measured on the connector (that plugs in the MB). No problem 19.XXV. Tested the old cable ... same thing. Both dc cabled are fully working with the original AC.

This is the most interesting part. Using the original AC adapter plugged into the socket, I then plugged the other end of the cable into the MB and had my multimeter on the MB, it showed 19.XXV. I press power... the voltage dived from 19.XXV to 11.XXV and then it went from 11.XXV to 16.XXV up and down. I did over and over again... Same result. The funny thing is... when I use the old dc cable with the other AC adapter. It works... Sure I have angled slightly. But it works...

Is it the original AC adapter? It's not supplying enough power? 

• Vincentt
    Looks like the AC adapter was the culprit, for some reason as sone as something draws power from it... the voltage goes below 19V and thus can't power up the laptop. Problem solved, got a new AC adapter. So strange...
  • Balatekie
    Vincentt said:
    Looks like the AC adapter was the culprit, for some reason as sone as something draws power from it... the voltage goes below 19V and thus can't power up the laptop. Problem solved, got a new AC adapter. So strange...
    Good to know that your issue is resolved. :)