How to best regain Wi-Fi's access point?

Options
MSHostage
MSHostage Member Posts: 7

Tinkerer

edited November 2023 in 2019 Archives
Likely due to W's Defender definitions update, that or my server oddly dropped one of my two laptop's Wi-Fi access points.  Note that while my other laptop oddly was unaffected and not definitions updated (if indeed server issue related for the problem laptop), nothing I've 'managed' to do regains web access, i.e.; access point now the issue, but long of the short of this is that after I fooled with network and sharing center settings (trying to re-access the web), might the simplest thing to do now, is to delete the wireless adapters and reinstall them? Ref. a 2009 AOD250 running W7P. Tried system restore, no joy, un-did that and now what, delete the wi-fi adapters and run just their drivers or need I re-install the LAN drivers too (I don't have ethernet capability anyway)?

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,587 Trailblazer
    Options
    Open Device Manager. Do you see any red or yellow warnings? If not, then yes delete the wireless adapter (either atheros, broadcom or intel) but do NOT re-install it. Exit Device Manager. Cold boot and let Windows redetect and auto re-install the driver. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• MSHostage

Tinkerer

Options

Thanks for replying, sorry about the delay in responding, but w-o www access except if running into town and using public wifi there, well , u know.

As for the instructions, thanks but aren't driver uninstalls always required to be done in safe mode, then perhaps too, using a fresh pc mfgr's recomended LAN and Wifi adaptors download (which a wise user will scan those downloads using www.virustotal.com's free scanner) and only then install it after the safe uninstall, then when seeing new hardware found, click escape and run the downloaded files, LAN first and then the Wifi???  Or should I next re-do that and instead of re-booting, run the LAN and WiFi adaptor's installers?

I say that because short of clean installing my OS via a know clean system image (using Microsoft's system restore's "recovery" feature) seems about the only thing else i can try.  I just am putting that off as a last resort, what with all the then req'd programs and applications reinstalls, that a considerable pain ITA.

Anyway, I tried the safe uninstalls of LAN and WiFi software (yet to reinstall them BEFORE rebooting) and still no WiFi access at home.  I'm fairly certain that the IP my community is using got hacked and the IP tech supposedly having fixed it (presumably if he's a bonafide IT tech, he first wiped his.the server, then used a system image (known to be clean) to reinstall the server's software.

I'm assuming he's done that, but still after the third week of "no router or access point" being flagged as network and sharing center's troubleshooter's persistent results, I'm left to believing either the tech dosesn't know what he's doing, hasn't done the right thing yet, or he's purposely blocking me,

Again, I'm leaning towards my community's IP who provides our WiFi service as the cause, deliberate or unintentional, is what I need to determine.  I say that the AOD-250 Acer netbook has no isues at all when using other oublic WiFi's in town.  Soooo. any idea how to pin the real cause down?  Presumably someone's got an application out that does more than what Microsoft Windows does, right, but who?

And if I could afford it, I'd buy a new pc and try that, but well, u know.

Best regards,

wguru

• JackE
    Options
    >>>but aren't driver uninstalls always required to be done in safe mode,>>>

No. Uninstall the driver from Device Manager. Exit Device Manager without re-installing anything. Reboot and let Windows re-detect and re-i nstall what it wants. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• MSHostage

Tinkerer

Options
    Thank you, but as mentioned I 've tried everything, even as posts suggest, but no joy.

As mentioned, I have never had any issues issues with any WiFi at all other public hotspots, just the one where I live and there are 5 bars signal strength.

Again any one know of means to determine more than what Windows troubleshooter discloses?  I'm fairly sure someone's blocking me so as to free up bandwidth, thus the reason I'm posting for anone's help in tracing it down to at least an IP address so I can have the tech on the erver do more than he's done so far (and that's nothing).

Best regards.

wguru
  • JackE
    Options
    If this means you don't own or control the hotspot (router) where you live, then yes someone is probably blocking you. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ