e5-476g-38tb

Joben
Joben Member Posts: 21 Networker
edited August 2023 in 2019 Archives
With a serial NXGVSSP002....,  does it only has one ram slot?  I don't want to open the back panel because I'm in warranty.

[Edit SN for safety]

Best Answer

• ven98
    ven98 ACE Posts: 4,073 Pathfinder
    Answer ✓
    That isn't true for the most part. The reason why 2x4GB will be faster in 8GB is because 2x4GB only when they are identical will work in dual-channel(if you use 2 4GB modules and if they are not identical in certain specs they won't work in dual channel. Dual-channel increases the memory bandwidth by 2 times, which helps for faster communication between CPU and memory, thus increasing the overall CPU performance. 

The reason I recommend purchasing 1x8GB over 2x4GB is because you already have a single 4GB in the system, which you will have to remove if you purchase 2x4GB. With the applications getting more RAM demanding with every year 12GB will be more future proof despite lacking dual-channel.

Dual-channel can bring around 10-15% performance improvement in games(depending on the game it can be higher), but that is only if the fps is bottlenecked by the CPU not the GPU.
    Always post the following characterisitcs of the device:
    -Model number
    -Part number(not required, but helpful)
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

Helios 300 and Nitro 5 users DO NOT update the BIOS to version 1.22 if you don't want the keyboard's backlight to turn off after 30 seconds even when the device is plugged in.

Hit 'Like' if you find the answer helpful!   
    Click on 'Yes' if the comment answers your question!

Answers

• ven98
    This device has 2 RAM slots each supporting up to 16GB DDR4 2400/2666(depending if the CPU is 7th or 8th gen) for a total of 32GB. If you have 8GB already installed, that means one of the slots is occupied and the other is free.
    -Model number
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

Helios 300 and Nitro 5 users DO NOT update the BIOS to version 1.22 if you don't want the keyboard's backlight to turn off after 30 seconds even when the device is plugged in.

• Joben
    But I ask Acer service via email and they said only one slot. Should I get 1x8gb ram or 2x4gb?
  • ven98
    According to the data that I am provided and youtube videos the device has 2 RAM slots.

How much RAM does your device currently have?
    There is no point purchasing 2 4GB modules, as you have to remove the one that is inside the laptop. Going for single 8GB is the better option.
    -Model number
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

• Joben
    I have 4gb ddr4 preinstalled. I want to upgrade it, I do little gaming like witcher 3, dont care about the settings if its high or low.
  • ven98
    Then go for a single 8GB. This way you will have a total of 12GB.

What CPU does your device come with?
    -Model number
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

• Joben
    I3-8130u mx150. Does different ram size work? I read somewhere here in community that 12gb is same performance as 8gb. I am not really techie. The intermediate 3gb, 6gb, 12gb , will not tap full potential. But 4gb, 8gb , 16gn has better performance.
  • ven98
    Answer ✓
    That isn't true for the most part. The reason why 2x4GB will be faster in 8GB is because 2x4GB only when they are identical will work in dual-channel(if you use 2 4GB modules and if they are not identical in certain specs they won't work in dual channel. Dual-channel increases the memory bandwidth by 2 times, which helps for faster communication between CPU and memory, thus increasing the overall CPU performance. 

The reason I recommend purchasing 1x8GB over 2x4GB is because you already have a single 4GB in the system, which you will have to remove if you purchase 2x4GB. With the applications getting more RAM demanding with every year 12GB will be more future proof despite lacking dual-channel.

Dual-channel can bring around 10-15% performance improvement in games(depending on the game it can be higher), but that is only if the fps is bottlenecked by the CPU not the GPU.
    -Model number
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

• Joben
    Oh thank you. So i will be buying 8gb then.