Making a recovery drive for Aspire XC 885

jonathanm
jonathanm Member Posts: 2 New User
edited March 1 in 2019 Archives
I've just bought an Aspire XC 885 and I've read it's a good idea to make a recovery usb drive (including the system files). It seems there are two ways to make a recovery drive. I can either do it through Acer Care Centre or by using Windows 10 recovery drive tool. What I'd like to know is, do these two methods do the same thing? Does Acer Care Centre simply run the Windows tool - or does it use a bespoke tool provided by Acer. Thanks. Jonathan

Best Answers

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,719 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    They do not do the same, but they are similar. The recovery image that Acer Care Center generates has everything in it that came with the machine initially. The one that Windows 10 does just gets you to a vanilla Windows 10, none of your third party apps will be there. Note that a backup does a third (and maybe fourth!) thing. The standard File History backup that Windows 10 has will only restore your data files. When coupled with the System Image it gets you back to a vanilla Windows 10, but with your data files recovered. You are then expected to reinstall your apps. The Backup and Restore (Windows 7) that also comes with Windows 10 does a full backup of your system, including apps and data.

I recommend using the Acer Care Center to make a recovery image on a USB flash drive and storing it until it's time to retire the computer. I also recommend using the Windows 7 Backup and Restore at least once a week to a USB external drive. Between the two you are pretty safe. If you are in a business environment I'd up the frequency on the latter to daily.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • Rudy21
    Rudy21 ACE Posts: 1,789 Pathfinder
    Answer ✓
    jonathanm said:
    Thanks for your reply. That's very helpful. I'd just like to check one more thing. In order to make the recovery drive do I need to format the usb stick in a particular way such as NTFS or FAT32 or does the Acer tool do all that for me? Thanks.
    Hi, there is no specific method to format the drive. All you need to connect the USB drive open the Acer care center > Go to restore > click on create factory backup disc and the system would auto detect the drive. ( It would allow to format the drive ) and continue on screen instructions to create one.
    Click on 'Yes' to accept my comment as answer
  • IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    Acer care center, trigger the Windows recovery drive tool.
    you just need to be sure that Backup file system is ticked.
    I'm not an Acer employee.

Answers

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,719 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    They do not do the same, but they are similar. The recovery image that Acer Care Center generates has everything in it that came with the machine initially. The one that Windows 10 does just gets you to a vanilla Windows 10, none of your third party apps will be there. Note that a backup does a third (and maybe fourth!) thing. The standard File History backup that Windows 10 has will only restore your data files. When coupled with the System Image it gets you back to a vanilla Windows 10, but with your data files recovered. You are then expected to reinstall your apps. The Backup and Restore (Windows 7) that also comes with Windows 10 does a full backup of your system, including apps and data.

I recommend using the Acer Care Center to make a recovery image on a USB flash drive and storing it until it's time to retire the computer. I also recommend using the Windows 7 Backup and Restore at least once a week to a USB external drive. Between the two you are pretty safe. If you are in a business environment I'd up the frequency on the latter to daily.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • jonathanm
    jonathanm Member Posts: 2 New User
    Thanks for your reply. That's very helpful. I'd just like to check one more thing. In order to make the recovery drive do I need to format the usb stick in a particular way such as NTFS or FAT32 or does the Acer tool do all that for me? Thanks.
  • Rudy21
    Rudy21 ACE Posts: 1,789 Pathfinder
    Answer ✓
    jonathanm said:
    Hi, there is no specific method to format the drive. All you need to connect the USB drive open the Acer care center > Go to restore > click on create factory backup disc and the system would auto detect the drive. ( It would allow to format the drive ) and continue on screen instructions to create one.
    Click on 'Yes' to accept my comment as answer
  • IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    Acer care center, trigger the Windows recovery drive tool.
    you just need to be sure that Backup file system is ticked.
    I'm not an Acer employee.