Boot to usb.. what am i doing wrong?

Options
feverspore
feverspore Member Posts: 1 New User
edited March 1 in 2019 Archives
No matter what i do i cant get my acer to boot to a bootable usb drive. I have tried setting the bios to each of the usb drive choices, and rebooting to no avail. i looked on youtube and cant find any help there. Can someone please help me out? It has windows 8 on it and i want to format and install win 7 on it. tia

Comments

• ven98
    ven98 ACE Posts: 4,073 Pathfinder
    Options
    Windows 7 requires the BIOS to be set on Legacy. Enter in BIOS(press F2 on start up) and change the BIOS mode from UEFI to Legacy. Press F10 for save and exit and report back whether that helped.
    Always post the following characterisitcs of the device:
    -Model number
    -Part number(not required, but helpful)
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

Helios 300 and Nitro 5 users DO NOT update the BIOS to version 1.22 if you don't want the keyboard's backlight to turn off after 30 seconds even when the device is plugged in.

Hit 'Like' if you find the answer helpful!   
    Click on 'Yes' if the comment answers your question!

• JordanB
    JordanB ACE Posts: 3,729 Pathfinder
    edited February 2019
    Options
    If you have an Acer desktop, you can try going in to the BIOS settings by tapping the "Delete key" on your keyboard at the Acer POST logo and then disabling secure boot and also setting "Launch CSM" to "Always".   This will put most Windows 8 Acer desktops in to "legacy mode".  Legacy mode is not nearly as secure as the default UEFI settings that your PC shipped with so I don't recommend legacy mode or any OS that uses legacy mode.  Windows 7 requires that you use legacy mode on your Windows 8 Acer desktop.  This thread discusses Windows 7 on a Windows 8/10 desktop.

Typically you would also enable the F12 boot menu in the BIOS settings as well.
    I'm not an Acer employee.