Enable backlit keyboard - Chromebook 514 - CB514-1H.

jkjern
jkjern Member Posts: 8

Tinkerer

edited November 2020 in Chromebooks
Just received my Chromebook 514 - model CB514-1H.
According to the model description there should be backlit keyboard, but i can't find a way to enable it.

I have tried the Alt + Brightness keys several times, rebooted and upgraded to lates software.

Do I have a faulty item, or are there any other solutions I could try?

Best Answers

• Rudy21
    Rudy21 ACE Posts: 1,752 Pathfinder
    Answer ✓
    @jkjern

Sorry, i have looked up for the product details and specifically reg the backlight KB but nothing mentioned. I would recommend  you to ring acer support and check if this device comes with display backlight.

Most of the devices i looked in states that it has backlight but info reg this one.
    Click on 'Yes' to accept my comment as answer
  • Manny-Acer_Retired
    Manny-Acer_Retired Newbie Posts: 4,453 Guru
    Answer ✓
    jkjern said:
    Hi jkjern,

What are the 4 digits that comes after the model number?

It looks like theirs 2 models that do not come with the backlit keyboard:

#3 models that do come with backlit keyboard (CB514-1HT-P2D1CB514-1HT-C07F and CB514-1H-C47X).

#2 models that do not come with backlit keyboard (CB514-1H-C11Z and CB514-1H-C67U).

Salute,
    Acer-Manny 

Hi,

The full model number is CB514-1H-C4VV. It's the Scandinavian/Nordic version.
    It does not have one, sorry  :/

Usually will have it included on specifications like this:

Acer-Manny

Answers

• Jack22
    Jack22 ACE Posts: 3,652 Pathfinder
    @jkjern
    * Dim keyboard (for backlit keyboards only)Alt + Decrease brightness*
    Make keyboard brighter (for backlit keyboards only)Alt + Increase brightness

Click on 'Yes' if the comment answers your question!
    Click on 'Yes' if the comment answers your question!
  • jkjern

Tinkerer

Jack22

That's what I have been trying to no avail.
  • Rudy21
    jkjern said:
    Jack22

Try this. Turn off the device and unplug the charger. Press and hold the refresh key ( 4th key from on the top row ) and the power button. Hold these 2 keys together for 5-10 sec. once done, restart the device and check.
  • jkjern

Tinkerer

Rudy21 said:
    jkjern said:
    Jack22

Try this. Turn off the device and unplug the charger. Press and hold the refresh key ( 4th key from on the top row ) and the power button. Hold these 2 keys together for 5-10 sec. once done, restart the device and check.
    Thanks for the tip, but it is still not working after several attempts
  • Rudy21
    jkjern said:
    Rudy21 said:
    jkjern said:
    Jack22

Try performing restore settings to original defaults in the settings > Click on settings > scroll the page down and click on advanced > scroll the page down and click on restore settings option.

If the above step does not work then perform power wash which is beneath restore settings option ( backup any offline files )
  • jkjern

Tinkerer

Rudy21 said:
    jkjern said:
    Rudy21 said:
    jkjern said:
    Jack22

Try performing restore settings to original defaults in the settings > Click on settings > scroll the page down and click on advanced > scroll the page down and click on restore settings option.

If the above step does not work then perform power wash which is beneath restore settings option ( backup any offline files )
    Tried both steps, still not working. Suspecting either a faulty device or that it simply doesn't have the function.
  • Rudy21
    jkjern said:
    Rudy21 said:
    jkjern said:
    Rudy21 said:
    jkjern said:
    Jack22

Tried both steps, still not working. Suspecting either a faulty device or that it simply doesn't have the function.
    can you share me the complete model number. because i have checked the specs and it differs from model to model reg the backlight keyboard.

Ex:  CB514-1H-C67U
  • jkjern

Tinkerer

Rudy21 said:
    jkjern said:
    Rudy21 said:
    jkjern said:
    Rudy21 said:
    jkjern said:
    Jack22

can you share me the complete model number. because i have checked the specs and it differs from model to model reg the backlight keyboard.

Ex:  CB514-1H-C67U
    The complete model is CB514-1H-C4VV. Couldn't find any information if it has backlit keyboard or not.
    Rudy21 said:
    jkjern said:
    Rudy21 said:
    jkjern said:
    Jack22

• Rudy21
    Answer ✓
    @jkjern

Sorry, i have looked up for the product details and specifically reg the backlight KB but nothing mentioned. I would recommend  you to ring acer support and check if this device comes with display backlight.

Most of the devices i looked in states that it has backlight but info reg this one.
  • jkjern

Tinkerer

Thanks for the effort, will contact Acer to check it.
  • Manny-Acer_Retired
    Hi jkjern,

#3 models that do come with 
    backlit keyboard (CB514-1HT-P2D1CB514-1HT-C07F and CB514-1H-C47X).

#2 models that do not come with 
    backlit keyboard (CB514-1H-C11Z and CB514-1H-C67U).

Salute,
    Acer-Manny 

• jkjern

Tinkerer

Hi jkjern,

#3 models that do come with backlit keyboard (CB514-1HT-P2D1CB514-1HT-C07F and CB514-1H-C47X).

#2 models that do not come with backlit keyboard (CB514-1H-C11Z and CB514-1H-C67U).

Salute,
    Acer-Manny 

Hi,

• Manny-Acer_Retired
    Answer ✓
    jkjern said:
    Hi jkjern,

Salute,
    Acer-Manny 

Hi,

Acer-Manny
  • jkjern

Tinkerer

jkjern said:
    Hi jkjern,

Salute,
    Acer-Manny 

Hi,

Acer-Manny
    Thanks all for the help, just a bummer it should be so hard to tell the difference between the models.
  • Zilke
    Zilke Member Posts: 1 New User
    jkjern said:
    Hi jkjern,

Salute,
    Acer-Manny 

Hi,

Hello, 
    I just bought a nordic version as well;

Model Name: CB514-1H-P3D1

Part Number: NX.H4BED.005

It doesn't have the backlit keyboard neither, unfortunately I found out about that after I bought it. Main reason I choose this model was because of this feature. 

Acer and their retailers have very confusing information about their models, especially when it comes to the differences between the last 4 digits in respective models. 

• Rascal1972
    Rascal1972 Member Posts: 1 New User
    I have just bought an Acer 514, and cannot find the backlit keyboard setting. Can someone please help me. 
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,436 Trailblazer
    Which model if 514 is it? Should be something like CB514-xxx-xxxx.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • Bonks1973
    Bonks1973 Member Posts: 2 New User
    Me too, cannot find backlit keyboard setting either? it's CB514-1H-C1T8 it was advertised as having the function, but I can't find it. can anybody help me?
  • Bonks1973
    Bonks1973 Member Posts: 2 New User

#3 models that do come with backlit keyboard (CB514-1HT-P2D1CB514-1HT-C07F and CB514-1H-C47X).

#2 models that do not come with backlit keyboard (CB514-1H-C11Z and CB514-1H-C67U).

Salute,
    Acer-Manny 
  • RettWill
    RettWill Member Posts: 4 New User
    Mine is a 514-1HT-C625 . Sticker on frame says it has backlit keyboard but not working like the OP. Does it have it please @Acer-Manny ?