i7-8750h Undervolting trouble // Predator Helios 300 (PH317-52)

NT
NT Member Posts: 13

Tinkerer

edited November 2023 in 2019 Archives
Hey,

I'm having trouble undervolting my CPU without power limit throttling. I get a score of 1148 on CB. Might I be missing something? Can power throttling be avoided on i7-8750h? Thank you all in advance for any tips and tricks!

Best Answer

• ven98
    ven98 ACE Posts: 4,073 Pathfinder
    Answer ✓
    Yes, I still recommend undervolting, as it reduces temperature and improves performance if the system is throttling without undervolt.

The defult values are 45W for power limit and 56.25W for power limit max.
    Always post the following characterisitcs of the device:
    -Model number
    -Part number(not required, but helpful)
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

Helios 300 and Nitro 5 users DO NOT update the BIOS to version 1.22 if you don't want the keyboard's backlight to turn off after 30 seconds even when the device is plugged in.

Hit 'Like' if you find the answer helpful!   
    Click on 'Yes' if the comment answers your question!

Answers

• ven98
    You can use throttlestop to increase the power limit.
    After opening throttlestop click on TPL.

As you can see from the picture you can increase the power limit from 45W to any value you want. Just make sure it isn't higher than the short power max, which can be also changed. You can set the value to 80 for example to see what wattage your CPU will reach and if it reaches a maximum of 65W for example, then set the power limit to 65W.
    -Model number
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

Helios 300 and Nitro 5 users DO NOT update the BIOS to version 1.22 if you don't want the keyboard's backlight to turn off after 30 seconds even when the device is plugged in.

• Red-Sand
    Red-Sand ACE Posts: 1,892 Pathfinder
    edited February 2019
    While @ven98 is correct that is where the power limit timers are adjusted they also have this option in XTU. The issue is that the chips are capped with their power limits by Acer and can't be changed.

You can TRY this video as it unlocked power limits for the 7th gen CPUs.
    Note: You must zero out your current undervolt on XTu then uninstall XTu prior to using Throttlestop.
    Lastly: Use a different benching program rather than XTU - It gives false readings based on the architecture that Intel designates for the CPU so even if power limits have been removed it will show as power limiting on XTU benches.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VhXIiBPJseI
    - Hotel Hero
  • NT

Tinkerer

Thank you both for the answers. I just installed Throttlestop after resetting values on XTU and will give it a go. Could you please tell me what kind of turbo short and max values you would recommend for a i7-8750h CPU? Where can I check if it still power throttles after this? I have already uninstalled XTU and this is what I would use. Really appreciate the help!
  • ven98
    You can download HWiNFO or any other hardware monitor that shows the power consumption of the CPU and if it reaches higher than 45W that means it isn't hitting power limit. It doesn't matter what the short boost limit is, just make sure it is equal or higher than the power limit that you have set.

I didn't read your title and I thought that your device is helios 500, which has unlocked power limit. As @Red-Sand mentioned the power limit is locked, but it is worth a try in my opinion.

Great video @R@Red-Sand!
    -Model number
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

• NT

Tinkerer

Thanks again, mate. On HwInfo I near TDP it says 45W. This is after I tried the steps in the video. Should I just set the turbo max long and short on 44 W? I offset both cache and core to -0.150.
  • ven98
    NT said:
    Thanks again, mate. On HwInfo I near TDP it says 45W.
    That means you can't change the power limit.

There is no reason to set the turbo max and turbo to lower values, plus the as the power limit is locked I doubt setting it to lower value will do anything. In this case it is best to leave them at defult values.
    -Model number
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

• NT

Tinkerer

Well, that's pretty disappointing. Can't remember my default values now. Will try to google them. Do you still recommend the undervolt?
  • ven98
    Answer ✓
    Yes, I still recommend undervolting, as it reduces temperature and improves performance if the system is throttling without undervolt.

The defult values are 45W for power limit and 56.25W for power limit max.
    -Model number
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

• NT

Tinkerer

By the way, I was one of the people who has Helios 300 and updated my bios to 1.22. Could you please share why I made a mistake?  :|
  • ven98
    Because on version 1.22 the keyboard switches off after 30 seconds of inactivity even when the device is plugged in. On BIOSes prior to 1.22 the keyboard backlight stays constantly on when the device is charging.
    -Model number
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

• NT

Tinkerer

Yes, I noticed that also. Not a very big deal to me. Anyway, thanks for all the help. Depending where you are, I hope you have a nice day or rest of the evening!
  • ven98
    You are welcome:). I hope you have a nice day too.
    -Model number
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system