freezing up(Acer Swift SF315-41)

rocoa01
rocoa01 Member Posts: 15 Troubleshooter
edited November 2023 in 2019 Archives
My Acer Swift SF315-41 keeps freezing up and its usually associated with watching a video, either before or after. The screen goes black and after five seconds its back to normal. Lately it is happening more and more. Any suggestions?

Comments

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,848 Trailblazer
    Open Control Panel. Search 'power plan'. Click 'choose power plan' in left pane. Change power plan from  balanced or power saver to performance. Also battery must be near 100% charged and charger plugged in when loading up the laptop watching videos. Videos consume a lot of power. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• rocoa01
    JackE said:
    Open Control Panel. Search 'power plan'. Click 'choose power plan' in left pane. Change power plan from  balanced or power saver to performance. Also battery must be near 100% charged and charger plugged in when loading up the laptop watching videos. Videos consume a lot of power. Jack E/NJ
    Thank you for taking the time to comment. Your advice helped to some degree but it keeps freezing (black screen) for about 4 seconds when I watch a video, only about twice a day now. I have read about reinstalling video drivers? Or some people have said something about going into BIOS. Do you have any other advice? Thank you again for taking the time to comment.
  • JackE
    When did you acquire the machine? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• rocoa01
    one month ago, in Thailand, where I live. 
  • JackE
    Open Device Manager. Click 'display' folder. Right click properties for your AMD video adapter. Choose driver tab. What is the date and version number? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• rocoa01
    date 8/20/2018
    Version 23.20.826.8448
  • JackE
    This doesn't seem to be an ACER driver? Did you buy this machine with an ACER factory-installed Win10 version and a generic Win10 version? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• rocoa01
    Yes it had a ACER factory installed Win10 version pre installed. When i first got it I did a "update drivers" program and perhaps the program pulled that driver and installed it. 
  • JackE
    Press the WINkey+Rkey. Enter 'msinfo32'.

(1) What is the BIOS version number in right pane?
    (2) When did you acquire this machine?

Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• rocoa01
    bought it Jan 19 2019, BIOS version  Insyde Corp. V2.03, 6/15/2018
  • rocoa01
    I did the installation, the restart and when I opened up device manager again under "display adapters" and properties I am getting the date of 4/10/2018 and driver version 23.20.828.1280. Is this now correct?
  • JackE
    No. It should be 17.40.3705.1005  dated 9/21/2018. Does the file you unzipped have an INF extension file? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• rocoa01
    Sorry, I crashed my system last night, uninstalled my device driver and of course the screen went black, had to reinstall windows etc. 
  • rocoa01
    Sorry, I crashed my system last night, uninstalled my device driver and of course the screen went black, had to reinstall windows etc. 
  • JackE
    Let us know what happens. What method did you use to re-install Win10? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• mafozi
    mafozi Member Posts: 13

Tinkerer

edited February 2019
    I have the same problem as I have taken the laptop
    The model is the same with the Ryzen 5 and Embedded Video.
    I've tried several types of drivers without luck
    With the last one dangling for exactly 4-5 seconds, finally put the adrenaline driver, it just flashes in seconds a few times
    I have refused to try with other drivers because I have read that amd do not deal with the support of their mobile processor with gpu inside.
    Im with last bios too
    At first taking the laptop, I even had blue screens with one of the drivers
    For me this is a problem with the driver, but I have no idea who to try 
  • mafozi
    mafozi Member Posts: 13

Tinkerer

https://www.amd.com/en/support/apu/amd-ryzen-processors/amd-ryzen-5-mobile-processors-radeon-vega-graphics/amd-ryzen-5

There is a new driver from yesterday
    And in this section, until recently there was no option for a mobile processor, there are obviously some changes from the AMD
    I hope it is good!