Acer Nitro 5 Higher Temperatures When Plugged In, Lower When Not

MiroslavGeorgiev
MiroslavGeorgiev Member Posts: 7

Tinkerer

edited November 2023 in 2019 Archives
Alright so today I was running a few tests on my Acer Nitro AN515-52, and while playing World of Warcraft, on battery and not plugged in the highest temperature I got was 70 degrees Celcius, with the average being 60, and when I plugged it in the average temperature became anywhere from 70-80, with the maximum being 95-98. Is this normal? Can it harm my Nitro 5? I've had it for 4 months now, haven't seen any problems. Please answer ASAP, I'd be very thankful :)

Comments

• naji
    naji Member Posts: 9 New User
    Hello! With your laptop, a temperature with more than 65 degrees C can be harmful to your CPU (Core i5 "maybe" 7th Gen). Internally, there is nothing you can do about this issue. However, I recommend getting a laptop cooling pad. I founded it very effective in cooling my laptop. It could range from 20-40 bucks. I found a link of different ones you can get from amazon here. (https://amzn.to/2SxliIu) There are obviously more options then whats on the link though. Hope this helps! :)
  • MiroslavGeorgiev

Tinkerer

I have one, doesn't really help. Any other ideas/
  • Nortlands
    Nortlands Member Posts: 3 New User
    Well, if you speak to Acer about the issue they will say if it hasn't reach 100C you're fine.

In reality the average high for the CPU you have is normal, this is due to a poor cooling solution design. Some people have circumvented this by "voiding warranty" by taking the stock cooler off, cleaning it of factory thermal compound and applying aftermarket thermal paste. You can find a video on youtube with the results. Mainly pertaining to the i7 8750H
  • MiroslavGeorgiev

Tinkerer

Nortlands said:
    Well, if you speak to Acer about the issue they will say if it hasn't reach 100C you're fine.

In reality the average high for the CPU you have is normal, this is due to a poor cooling solution design. Some people have circumvented this by "voiding warranty" by taking the stock cooler off, cleaning it of factory thermal compound and applying aftermarket thermal paste. You can find a video on youtube with the results. Mainly pertaining to the i7 8750H
    Yeah, I read that it is fine as long as it doesn't reach 100C. Guess if Acer were sure about doing that, then they were sure there wouldn't be heating problems. Thanks for the comment man, I don't have to worry anymore!
  • Jack22
    Jack22 ACE Posts: 3,733 Pathfinder
    MiroslavGeorgiev
    Predator and Nitro products are engineered to withstand higher operating temperatures than traditional notebooks. These systems include features that help with cooling and heat dispersion. The CPU and GPU are designed to handle temperature spikes in excess of 98 degrees Celsius without causing damage to the components. It is common for PC temperatures to spike temporarily during heavy gaming or graphic usage. If the system encounters excessive temperatures that could damage the hardware, it will automatically shut down to protect the components from becoming damaged.

Click on 'Yes' if the comment answers your question!

• ven98
    ven98 ACE Posts: 4,073 Pathfinder
    Anything higher than 85C on average, I wouldn't consider normal. The reason why the temperature is lower when the device is on battery only is because the system is able to utilise full performance when the device is plugged in only. Higher performane=higher amount of heat and that is why the CPU reaches higher temperatures(if you play with unlocked framerate you will see that the fps will increase when the device is plugged in compared to when it is on battery power only).
    Always post the following characterisitcs of the device:
    -Model number
    -Part number(not required, but helpful)
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

Helios 300 and Nitro 5 users DO NOT update the BIOS to version 1.22 if you don't want the keyboard's backlight to turn off after 30 seconds even when the device is plugged in.

Hit 'Like' if you find the answer helpful!   

• MiroslavGeorgiev

Tinkerer

Jack22 said:
    MiroslavGeorgiev
    Predator and Nitro products are engineered to withstand higher operating temperatures than traditional notebooks. These systems include features that help with cooling and heat dispersion. The CPU and GPU are designed to handle temperature spikes in excess of 98 degrees Celsius without causing damage to the components. It is common for PC temperatures to spike temporarily during heavy gaming or graphic usage. If the system encounters excessive temperatures that could damage the hardware, it will automatically shut down to protect the components from becoming damaged.

Thanks for the help, I really appreciate it! Made me not have to worry about the laptop anymore.

For some reason I do not see the "Did this answer your question?" thing and I can't press Yes :(