Acer Aspire TC-780 (KBL) motherboard documentation - Does this exist?

Options

Answers

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,722 Trailblazer
    Options
    I  believe it's a standard DTX motherboard, so most cases will fit just fine.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • SgtTrom
    SgtTrom Member Posts: 1 New User
    Options
    I have a two part question: 1)I'm looking at upgrading my TC-780 (KBL) CPU to either an i7-7700 or an i7-7700k, would either of those be compatible?
    2) My last BIOS update was to R02-A0 on 11/17/2016 and I see there are more updates, do I need to fully update my BIOS before I upgrade my CPU?
  • billsey
    Options
    The TC780 comes with a motherboard that supports Kaby Lake and Skylake-S processors. It should support both 65W and 91W processors, but I'd be tempted to update the CPU cooling with a 91W. IIRC the i7-770 is 65W, the i7-7700K is 91W. None of the BIOS updates I see refer to supporting different processors so you should be good to go with the one you have.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • Hil216
    Hil216 Member Posts: 1 New User
    Options
    I have a question, im trying to upgrade my pc case, i want to know if the dtx mobo will fit in a case that fits Micro ATX and Mini ITX, if it doesn't fit, what size case would you recomend?
  • billsey
    Options
    Usually yes, the DTX form factor seems to use the same mount placement as the uATX size, just a couple less screws and the smaller footprint giving fewer potential expansion slots. Wikipedia has a good article that helps explain it.
  • NREED
    NREED Member Posts: 2 New User
    Options
    This post has helped me in upgrading my Acer desktop with the tc-780-kbl motherboard, I have some questions with the new case I bought on the front panel it has wires for connecting the power switch and a reset switch: 
    Side view of those connecitons:

Ends of connections:

The Acer just had one button that did both depending on how long you held it, this is my original Acer desktop for reference: shorturl.at/qBCM1

I was wondering if one Power SW and possibly the Reset SW cables would connect to the pins where the original Power Button LED connector pins are on the motherboard shown here:

But wasn't sure exactly where given that there are more pins?
    Here's the original Acer power button connector cable:

The last question is the front panel also has connections for HDD LED and Power LED+ and LED-

I wasn't sure if possibly these Power LED+ and LED- connections went on the motherboard Power button/LED connector I have pictured above?
    That would then use 8 of the connector pins above and make senes given the name but not sure what order they would go in?

For the two pin HDD LED front panel connector I thought maybe it would go here on one of these pin connectors, this is in the very bottom right corner of the MB, but couldn't find any place that referenced these connections:

Thanks for any guidance I really appreciate it!
  • NREED
    NREED Member Posts: 2 New User
    Options
    Good news after finding this post: https://community.acer.com/en/discussion/609281/can-i-plug-in-a-hdd-activity-led-on-the-motherboard-of-the-gx-785#latest  I saw that the power connector pins were the same as on my motherboard so used this document to connect my front panel connections:

So I connected pins 1 and 3 to the HDD LED connection, pins 2 and 4 to the LED+ and LED- connectors, pins 5 and 7 to the Reset SW connector and pins 6 and 8 to the Power SW connector.
    Here's a pic from the left side showing the HDD LED and Rest SW connections:

Here's a pic from the right side showing the other connections:

Hope this helps anyone using this MB with a new case.
  • Jack03
    Jack03 Member Posts: 5

Tinkerer

Options
    Medi said:
    diogoscf said:
    Could this motherboard take a Corsair MP510? (https://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B07JW49VZD/ref=ask_ql_qh_dp_hza)
    billsey said:
    No, the specs call for an M.2 SATA drive, not NVMe.
    Hi, I have this exact mobo, and referred to this discussion some time ago when I was choosing my first SSD. I can confirm it supports NVMe SSDs (I use a Crucial P1 500GB Gen3 x4 NVMe PCIe M.2 SSD). You should check your mobo for what type of SSD slot it has, a SATA M.2 has two notches, whereas a NVMe M.2 has one. A SATA M.2 can fit in an NVMe slot, but not the other way round. Here is a ref sheet I put together.

How you did that my ssd nvme only reach 400MB/s?

• Jack03

Tinkerer

Options
    Does any one know if there is a way to let the on board graphics even when a graphics card is insert?
  • ttttt
    ttttt Member Posts: 1,947 Community Aficionado WiFi Icon
    Options
    Dear Jack03,

Seemed to be that you want both on board graphics and dedicated graphics card too. If you want on board graphics, should not put the graphics card from the beginning. Unplugging the graphics card is such an easy job.
  • Jack03

Tinkerer

Options
    jburke303 said:
    it should work but the max frequency depends by the processor what do you have on? Btw if you put those ram you woulden't be able to actevate their overclock so you gonna youse them at 2400hz if the processor support it. Anyway dude that's a lot of ram 😂😂
  • Jack03

Tinkerer

Options
    ttttt said:
    Dear Jack03,

Seemed to be that you want both on board graphics and dedicated graphics card too. If you want on board graphics, should not put the graphics card from the beginning. Unplugging the graphics card is such an easy job.
    yes I know that, but I thought there was a way to use both of them maybe by changing some pins on the mb
  • ttttt
    ttttt Member Posts: 1,947 Community Aficionado WiFi Icon
    Options
    @Jack03

Your case is very interesting. Seemed to be the case of "Have the cake and eat it too!"

People add a dedicated graphics card to the PC when they are not satisfied with the performance of the onboard graphics. Once the graphics card is plugged in the onboard graphics is disabled.

Unless you are people like me that use the x16 slot for other purpose, such as putting a x4 M.2 NVMe SSD there and just use it as a mobile device, unplugging it and replace it with the graphics card for playing high high demanding games ( I don't play that kind of games anyway).

I cannot think of any way to enable onboard graphics and dedicated graphics card at the same time. Maybe experts here can answer your question. I just consider myself an experienced user, not an expert yet.
  • billsey
    Options
    @jburke303 the TC-780 uses 2133 memory, if you try putting faster memory in it'll either run at 2133 or not work at all.
  • Jack03

Tinkerer

Options
    ttttt said:
    @Jack03

Your case is very interesting. Seemed to be the case of "Have the cake and eat it too!"

People add a dedicated graphics card to the PC when they are not satisfied with the performance of the onboard graphics. Once the graphics card is plugged in the onboard graphics is disabled.

Unless you are people like me that use the x16 slot for other purpose, such as putting a x4 M.2 NVMe SSD there and just use it as a mobile device, unplugging it and replace it with the graphics card for playing high high demanding games ( I don't play that kind of games anyway).

I cannot think of any way to enable onboard graphics and dedicated graphics card at the same time. Maybe experts here can answer your question. I just consider myself an experienced user, not an expert yet.
    Ok don't worry thanks for your time 
  • AspirreeFaan
    AspirreeFaan Member Posts: 3 New User
    Options
    billsey said:
    @jburke303 the TC-780 uses 2133 memory, if you try putting faster memory in it'll either run at 2133 or not work at all.
    I have a question. I found this thread so thought I would ask here.

I have an Acer Aspire TC780 (KBL motherboard) with an i5-7400 Kaby Lake (3.00GHz). It has 12 GB RAM (not sure if this is relevant). The motherboard has an empty PCI slot (not sure what generation this is)- I was wondering if I could install a GTX 1650 Super graphics card. The card has one fan so it should physically fit. I will be upgrading the power supply because the one that came with the computer is only 300 W (new one will be >400W).

Will there be any issues installing the new graphics card? Anything I should be aware of? Will the integrated graphics card (Intel HD 630) still be using up system RAM and if so, can that be fixed?

Thank you
  • billsey
    Options
    I responded to your other post...
  • k3nux
    k3nux Member Posts: 1 New User
    Options
    billsey said:
    Acer doesn't typically publish the motherboard layout or details of the specs, except in their service manuals which aren't publicly available. Here's what I see for the TC-780 models:

Am I reading this correctly?  This motherboard will only support SSD up to 512gb?  I installed a Crucial P1 1TB 3D NAND NVMe PCIe Internal SSD.  I have no issues???
  • billsey
    Options
    No, they only *tested* it with SSDs up to 512GB. They won't guarantee it'll work with bigger, but we all know it will be just fine unless you decide to do something really non-standard with your partitioning.