Low sound on my new Predator 500

Dead_Bang
Dead_Bang Member Posts: 7

Tinkerer

edited November 2023 in 2020 Archives
Just purchased my new predator helios 500 ph517-51-72nu and am finding the sound is not loud at all.I have to set volume to 100 to hear anything.When my unit arrived,i formatted the C drive to get rid of everything,then installed a fresh windows 10 os.I  did download all the drivers onto a flash drive before i did this to ensure i had backups but it seems windows updated everything except the video driver which i got from nvidia. Is there any way to get more volume out of this thing?

Answers

• ven98
    ven98 ACE Posts: 4,073 Pathfinder
    This is most likely because Dolby Audio/Acer true harmony is missing(check in sound options if you have it and it isn't just disabled). Download and install the latest realtek driver from REALTEK and it should install dolby audio or Acer true harmony(whichever it is) automatically.

Just in case if that doesn't work you can download EquilizerAPO and it will increase the loudness of the sound.
    Always post the following characterisitcs of the device:
    -Model number
    -Part number(not required, but helpful)
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

Helios 300 and Nitro 5 users DO NOT update the BIOS to version 1.22 if you don't want the keyboard's backlight to turn off after 30 seconds even when the device is plugged in.

Hit 'Like' if you find the answer helpful!   
    Click on 'Yes' if the comment answers your question!

• XdxD
    XdxD Member Posts: 1,581 Community Aficionado WiFi Icon
    ven98 said:
    This is most likely because Dolby Audio/Acer true harmony is missing(check in sound options if you have it and it isn't just disabled). Download and install the latest realtek driver from REALTEK and it should install dolby audio or Acer true harmony(whichever it is) automatically.

Just in case if that doesn't work you can download EquilizerAPO and it will increase the loudness of the sound.
    Latest Realtek driver from Realtek or Acer? Shall I try too? I don't have Acer TrueHarmony since reset. But Dolby is working though.
    Trying to do my best here - Your happy Predator owner =)!
  • ven98
    You can try with the latest from realtek and if that doesn't work try the one from Acer.
    -Model number
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

Helios 300 and Nitro 5 users DO NOT update the BIOS to version 1.22 if you don't want the keyboard's backlight to turn off after 30 seconds even when the device is plugged in.

• XdxD
    XdxD Member Posts: 1,581 Community Aficionado WiFi Icon
    ven98 said:
    You can try with the latest from realtek and if that doesn't work try the one from Acer.
    Can you provide some link? I tried but those drivers didn't match with what I want.
    Trying to do my best here - Your happy Predator owner =)!
  • ven98
    -Model number
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

• Red-Sand
    Red-Sand ACE Posts: 1,892 Pathfinder
    I have the 500 and I had a real bad experience trying to use Realtek from their website..
    I ended up using Acer's and then Windows auto updated it immediately.
    - Hotel Hero
  • Dead_Bang

Tinkerer

Thanks all for the help,still haven't had any luck.I uninstalled the realtek drivers,downloaded installed new drivers.I had nvidia hd sound installed,so i thought there might be a conflict,uninstalled that,no help. Found something called Waves,uninstalled that.
     i don't have anything called true harmony.I tried to get into the dolby but can't find any setting for that,all i get is something called dolby access and all it seems to do is get me to sign up for atmos for 15 bucks.
     unfortunately this may be as good as it gets.The alienware 17 i replaced with this was loud,couldn't sit in front of it at 50%. 100% on the predator is like 25% on alienware.So i guess i'll leave it at 100% even though that is still pretty hard to hear.

• Dead_Bang

Tinkerer

Red-Sand said:
    I have the 500 and I had a real bad experience trying to use Realtek from their website..

i tried both ways without any luck,i also tried the recovery,advanced options reboot thing as well.

• NESMRTEN
    NESMRTEN Member Posts: 1 New User
    Dead_Bang said:
    Red-Sand said:

i tried both ways without any luck,i also tried the recovery,advanced options reboot thing as well.

iTS still very bad sound im very dissapointed! Acer should fix this with bios update or driver fix.