Can we upgrade processor and GPU of Predator (PH315-51-51V7)?

BruceWayne
BruceWayne Member Posts: 4 New User
edited November 2023 in 2019 Archives
I am new to this forum and before posting this I have searched for the answer already. I have found that we can upgrade the ram up to 32 GB however I am more interested if we can upgrade processor and GPU.

I have Predator helios 300 i5 8th Gen, 8 GB RAM, GPU 4GB 1050ti. 

I want to know whether I can upgrade from i5 to lets say i9 and upgrade current GPU (NVIDIA GTX 1050ti to 1080)

Thanks in advance. 

Best Answers

• ven98
    ven98 ACE Posts: 4,073 Pathfinder
    Answer ✓
    You can't simply change the motherboard either, as it should be the same form factor as the laptop's chassis and the CPU and GPU should be on a specific position-the same as the cooler. Not to mention the IO ports should match as well. It is just impossible to use a different motherboard on this laptop or any other.

Laptops are not designed to be upgraded like a desktop.
    Always post the following characterisitcs of the device:
    -Model number
    -Part number(not required, but helpful)
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

Helios 300 and Nitro 5 users DO NOT update the BIOS to version 1.22 if you don't want the keyboard's backlight to turn off after 30 seconds even when the device is plugged in.

Hit 'Like' if you find the answer helpful!   
    Click on 'Yes' if the comment answers your question!

• Commodore_1995#
    Commodore_1995# ACE Posts: 98,297 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    The colleague ven98 is correct! However there are some users who install a egpu on their notebooks. For this procedure to be done, it is necessary to use this equipment:

You can connect to the second generation wlan port or the 3.1 usb port. This adaptation may not work because it is necessary for the notebook's hardware to be compatible and, in addition, it is an expensive procedure and requires an external source!
    Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 

Answers

• ven98
    Both CPU and GPU are soldered to the motherboard, therefore they can't be changed.
    -Model number
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

Helios 300 and Nitro 5 users DO NOT update the BIOS to version 1.22 if you don't want the keyboard's backlight to turn off after 30 seconds even when the device is plugged in.

• BruceWayne
    ven98 said:
    Both CPU and GPU are soldered to the motherboard, therefore they can't be changed.
    Thanks For your reply. I hope I have mentioned the laptop model number (Acer Predator Helios 300 i5 8th Gen laptop PH315-51-51V7) and RAM size along with GPU size, model number already. Sharing the details again

Memory Layout
    2 x 4 Gigabyte
    Expandable Memory
    32 GB
    Ram Type
    DDR4
    Memory Slots
    Ram Speed
    2400 Mhz
    Capacity
    8 GB

GPU : NVIDIA GTX 1050Ti
    Capacity     4GB

Based on above information, If I have to upgrade my current i5 8th gen CPU to i7/i9 processor along with NVIDIA GTX 1080 GPU, I have to change the entire motherboard.

I hope I have concluded it in right way.

• ven98
    Answer ✓
    You can't simply change the motherboard either, as it should be the same form factor as the laptop's chassis and the CPU and GPU should be on a specific position-the same as the cooler. Not to mention the IO ports should match as well. It is just impossible to use a different motherboard on this laptop or any other.

Laptops are not designed to be upgraded like a desktop.
    -Model number
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

• Commodore_1995#
    Commodore_1995# ACE Posts: 98,297 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    The colleague ven98 is correct! However there are some users who install a egpu on their notebooks. For this procedure to be done, it is necessary to use this equipment:

You can connect to the second generation wlan port or the 3.1 usb port. This adaptation may not work because it is necessary for the notebook's hardware to be compatible and, in addition, it is an expensive procedure and requires an external source!
    Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • BruceWayne
    Thanks guys for all the clarifications :) much appreciated
  • XdxD
    XdxD Member Posts: 1,584 Community Aficionado WiFi Icon
    The ones in which you can do that cost more than $4000 btw.
    Trying to do my best here - Your happy Predator owner =)!