vn7 792g Camera issue

daidalus
daidalus Member Posts: 1 New User
edited November 2023 in 2019 Archives
Hi all,

I guess this is a question for Acer support.

The real sense camera (FS300) installed on my laptop (VN7-792G) became unusable after a windows upgrade. I then tried loading the firmware on the camera manually a few times doing various tests to make it usable again.

The thing i did not know was that there was a hardcoded limit on the times you can upgrade your firmware (20). So now the camera is locked and i cannot install new drivers anymore as there is a an error reported about the lock error.

There are 2 ways to solve this:

1. Install drivers with a new firmware. Not a chance to happen as intel is not developing any more drivers for this camera.

2. Put the camera in DFU mode from bios. The thing is this option IS in the bios, but it is on the advanced settings which ACER has locked, so i don't have access to these.

So my question is, can ACER do anything about this? Can they send me a BIOS file with the advanced options enabled? There is any key combination i can press to gain access to these settings?

If nothing can be done, i will have a completely unsuable camera, because manufacturer A (Intel) locked the hardware with no good reason and giving me no ability to receover it, and manufacturer B (Acer) again locked me out of options i should be able to use. And all this for a camera that is in perfect condition but locked, and for hardware i paid and is lawfully mine (but cannot use to the full extend).

Any help will be appreciated.

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,475 Trailblazer
    >>>>I then tried loading the firmware on the camera manually a few times doing various tests to make it usable again.>>>>

What do you mean "loading the firmware on the camera"? What camera firmware? Did you get this from the ACER download site?  Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ