ED347CKR Monitor Problem - Randomly throughout the day making loud static/crackling noises

Options
TonyRyan
TonyRyan Member Posts: 8

Tinkerer

edited February 22 in 2020 Archives
We bought 2 of these for our home office in June of 2018, and only one (mine) developed the issue (after a few months of use); though the monitor that doesn't have this issue is connected via DisplayPort. So suspect that the issue may well be with the HDMI connection or the internal circuitry?  [The noise is definitely coming from the back of the monitor, and not through the speaker of the connected laptop].

For the last few months, it's been making this loud crackling/static noises at completely random times throughout the day.  Initially, it seemed that it was occurring, or being triggered by, times when i had a large number of Chrome tabs open.  But in the last month or so it's happening more and more and seemingly just randomly now.  It's a pity I like the monitor, but this noise just makes the situation totally unworkable (especially in a shared small home office enviroment) 

As I said it's connected via HDMI... and I've replaced the cable with a new one (gold plated super good quality cable), and it made no difference. I also added some ferrite choke rings to the HDMI cable also, though again it made no difference. 

Assume I'll need to send this into Acer..... I just need a monitor that doesn't make this crazy noise.

Any suggestions?   Thanks so much

Answers

• Jack22
    Jack22 ACE Posts: 3,750 Pathfinder
    Options
    @TonyRyan
    Try these steps given below:
    1. unplug all the cables connected to the monitor( including power cable from wall socket)
    2.Press and hold the power button on your monitor for 30-40 sec
    3. Re-connect the cables and power on the device

Click on 'Yes' if the comment answers your question!
  • TonyRyan

Tinkerer

Options
    Thanks.  I suspect that it won't help, but yes, I'll absolutely try that and let you know!
  • Jack22
    Jack22 ACE Posts: 3,750 Pathfinder
    Options
    @TonyRyan
    Also try to update the monitor driver 

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,722 Trailblazer
    Options
    I'd lean toward a bad cable. HDMI sends audio through as well as video, and if you have a couple of wires breaking... Try a different cable and verify it's fully seated.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • TonyRyan

Tinkerer

Options
    Thanks for the comment.  I did buy a new cable just after this issue began though the problem remained? 
    Though I'll try a second new cable and ensure it's fully seated, and see if it makes any difference.  Thanks again
  • TonyRyan

Tinkerer

Options
    Followed the power recycling steps posted by Jack22 > No change
    Updated the monitor driver as suggested als by Jack22 > No change
    Changed the HDMI cable to a new one (for the second time) as suggested by Billsey > No change

Took a quick recording of the noise coming from the back of the monitor today.  I've spent only about 2 hours in front of the laptop/monitor today, and it only happened once in that time.  But a full day in the office, it typically happens more often.

Unfortunately it's not allowing me to upload an mp3 file  :/ 
  • TonyRyan

Tinkerer

Options
    Okay.... it allows zips, so a quick recording of the sound is in the attached archive file.  Thanks
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,722 Trailblazer
    Options
    Pretty obviously some sort of interference. I'm afraid I'm out of ideas, you'll have to contact Acer support on this one.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • TonyRyan

Tinkerer

Options
    Thank you.
  • JSwizz
    JSwizz Member Posts: 1 New User
    Options
    TonyRyan said:
    Thank you.
    Hey this is super random but I am having the same issue with this monitor and I think you had it down originally. I just wall mounted mine and the bracket covered the DP connection so i had to swap to HDMI. Wasn't making the noise before but now it is. Kinda sad because I love this monitor. 
  • TonyRyan

Tinkerer

Options
    Yes pretty frustrating.... It seems to be a problem with the physical HDMI circuity on the board. I discovered a work-around though. If you have Amazon music, opening that app and playing a song (on the appropriate input selection (from the system tray), even if you then quickly choose pause the song, seems to reliably fix the issue. Good luck
  • Freerider
    Freerider Member Posts: 1 New User
    Options
    We also had exactly the same noise emanating from the rear of these monitors. We bought two for a home office. Both monitors connected by HDMI cable. One monitor started making the noise from day one. I tried my destop computer and laptop and three different HDMI cables, the noise would still come and go intermittently. I have a video clip on my phone of the static noise which shows its emanating from the video interface and shows the serial number if ACER is interested. I ended up returning the monitor and buying a different brand, unfortunately my wife said yesterday that the other monitor made the same noise. Otherwise this monitor is very good for price..