Is it possible to reload the original firmware? Was Win7, now Win10 Home.

Options
2»

Answers

• NS_Andy
    NS_Andy Member Posts: 18 Troubleshooter
    Options
    I did a search in File Explorer of the C: drive for clear.fi, let it run right until it stopped looking. The last 2 entries come up as "clear.fi 1.0", & "clear.fi 1.0 Client" dated 1/11/2012 & 10/26/2011 respectively. Both are showing as being in C:\OEM\Preload\APP. There is no folder showing in the directory under C:. In "Computer Management, looking at the HDD, there is an 18GB partition named "Recovery Partition".
  • JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,587 Trailblazer
    Options
    >>>Both are showing as being in C:\OEM\Preload\APP. There is no folder showing in the directory under C:>>>
           Now I'm really confused. If "clear.fi 1.0", & "clear.fi 1.0 Client" are showing in  C:\OEM\Preload\APP, how can you say there is no folder showing in the  directory under C:???? Folders are Directories. Directories are Folders. What am I missing here? 

>>>Computer Management, looking at the HDD, there is an 18GB partition named "Recovery Partition". >>>
            Do you mean "Disk Management"? A Recovery Partition should be there. But it's not the original factory recovery partition since you installed Win10.

Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• NS_Andy
    Options
    I think I have to use DOS to access the \OEM partition, if I remember correctly from a hundred years ago.
    Figured out why the OEM dir wasn't showing up, I went in and told the file system to "Show all files" even hidden ones. So now I can see what's in the OEM folder, but there's nothing there that would indicate that it will launch an installed for clear.fi. I did find an exe program called checkfiles.exe, which I'm running now.
  • JackE
    Options
    OEM is not a HDD partition. It's a subfolder on the C:\ drive --- C:\OEM. Are you saying that the subfolder C:\OEM\Preload\APP is empty? You also want to show file extensions with details in File Explorer View so you don't miss anything. Jack E/NJ  

Jack E/NJ

• NS_Andy
    Options
    I assumed that the small partition would be where Acer placed all of its programs. I can't remember enough DOS to access the partition to see what's there. I can get to a DOS prompt, but the syntax escapes me. However, in the OEM\APPS folder, there doesn't appear to be anything related to clear.fi. Folders for Bing and IE9
  • NS_Andy
    Options
     In the \OEM\APPS folder are a number of programs that are meant to restore your computer. However, none of them do anything, so my assumption is that the MS Reset I had to use to get the computer to boot somehow messed with them all. If I wasn't in hospital, I think I would be very seriously considering installing Linux on that laptop. The only problem is that I still need to get all of the photos, emails, and a few other files off of it and transferred to one of my other machines.
  • JackE
    Options
    If you can use Win10 FileExplorer, you'll find the OEM subfolder under the xxxxxx C:\ folder like shown below. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• NS_Andy
    Options
    Hi Jack:
    I've been that far and more. There is nothing in the \\OEM\ folders that I can find that relates to clear.fi. There are programs that will allow me to reload some programs, like Bing-which I don't like, I consider it to be foistware. Too many ads and other ***** on the screen.
    Since I'm back in hospital for chemo round 3, with no access to the laptop that we're talking about, I can't try anything. However, if you or anyone else on this site can find a link to a download site that has a complete copy of clear.fi, I would really appreciate it.
    Thanks,
    Andy
  • JackE
    Options
    OK. Good luck in round 3. We'll keep looking. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ