Which files to use when installing Bios

brucefb
brucefb Member Posts: 1 New User
edited March 1 in 2019 Archives
I have two TC - 885s one I5 and one I3. The I3 this AM went to the Acer splash (no usual sign of Windows spinner) and would continuously cycle back to it from blank every three seconds or so. Watched it and powered it down a couple of times - just splash screen. I went to the other 885 to find a solution and when I came back (10 minutes) the I3 was on the sign in. Checked Acer for updates and saw it need a BIOS update. Downloaded the zip and got five unzipped folders. Since it said only BIOS I thought to ignore Intel updates as I (think) have current versions.  The Admin folder contained two install instruction files for Intel and one for Windows. In the Windows install instructions it does not mention the WIN folder. In that folder appears to be program files to install BIOS. I would be installing RO1-B2. Since in theory, both my machines have the same motherboard I would think BIOS would be the same. When I went to get the RO1-B2 for the I5 machine Acer gave me two BIOS Files. RO1-B2 and RO1-A4. I have since discovered the I3 is currently RO1-A2 and the I5 RO1-A0 - the way they came in September. Do you use the WIN folder applications to install BIOS or does the BIOS file self install? For the I5 - install RO1-A4 first then RO1-B2? Thanks for the Help.

Answers

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 33,883 Trailblazer
    They may not use the same BIOS, or even the same motherboard. It's not unusual for Acer to keep the same model number yet update from one chipset to another, though the full model number will be different. IIRC though the TC-885 models all use eighth generation processors so they may all have the same motherboard and BIOS. What are the full model numbers for your two machines?
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.