Acer Swift 3 SF314-54 - how to clone the SSD (to install a larger one)?

mazerolle
mazerolle Member Posts: 4 New User
edited November 2023 in 2019 Archives
I bought a Swift 3 with a 128Gb SSD - I want to upgrade it to a larger one. I bought a Crucial 1Tb SSD, compatible with the Swift 3.
I cloned the 128Gb SSD to the 1Tb SSD with the EaseUS software (I successfully used this software for other disk cloning) and a USB adapter for the disk (also used it previously).
After cloning, I installed the new SSD and I get the message "INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE" at startup - I cannot do anything from there (restart, F1, F8 : it always come back to the same blue screen)
Is there another process to get a larger SSD in my Swift 3 ?
Thanks for your help.

Answers

• ven98
    ven98 ACE Posts: 4,073 Pathfinder
    It is possible that there was some corruption in the files during the cloning process. Are you able to boot from the 1TB SSD on another device? 
    Always post the following characterisitcs of the device:
    -Model number
    -Part number(not required, but helpful)
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

Helios 300 and Nitro 5 users DO NOT update the BIOS to version 1.22 if you don't want the keyboard's backlight to turn off after 30 seconds even when the device is plugged in.

Hit 'Like' if you find the answer helpful!   
    Click on 'Yes' if the comment answers your question!

• mazerolle
    Thanks for your question - I have not tried to boot from the 1Tb SSD on another device, since I do not have another PC with NVMe SSD.
    Is there another way to test if there is some corruption in the files during the cloning process?
    Best
  • ven98
    I don't think there is a way to find if there is a corruption in the files. There is one way to check if the issue is not the SSD itself and it is to format it and install windows anew. To do so follow the instruction from this link:

https://community.acer.com/en/discussion/542349/my-aspire-v5-431-is-not-going-beyond-acer-logo-after-starting-it#latest

As you don't have a device that can run the 1TB SSD how did you clone the data to it?
    -Model number
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

Helios 300 and Nitro 5 users DO NOT update the BIOS to version 1.22 if you don't want the keyboard's backlight to turn off after 30 seconds even when the device is plugged in.

• mazerolle
    To clone the disk, I used an external USB-C adaptor (Adwits) https://www.amazon.fr/gp/product/B07HM116LZ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02__o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    and I inserted the NVMe SSD in it.
    Then I used the EaseUS software to clone the internal SSD to the external SSD (I used this overall process on an Asus computer and it worked flawlessly).
  • ven98
    You can also use this external type C adapter to boot from the SSD on the asus computer.
    -Model number
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

• mazerolle
    I do not have the Asus anymore. I did the upgrade for a friend !
  • ven98
    Ok. As we can't be sure why this error appears on the 1TB SSD, your option is to clean install windows. Hopefully you haven't erased the data from the 128GB drive.

Follow the instructions from the link on my previous post to create a windows installation media drive. You can use this to enter in safe mode. If the error appears in safe mode as well, I would suggest you to clean install indows to see if the same error will appear.
    -Model number
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system