TC-885 second hard drive?

Canuckuk
Canuckuk Member Posts: 2 New User
Hi. I have a TC-885 tower, I5-8400. I’m interested in installing a second hard disk, but I’m worried that there isn’t space on the board for a second drive. Is it possible to put a second drive in, and if so, what will I need to do so? Thanks in advance for your help! (Newbie here...)

Answers

• Jack22
    Jack22 ACE Posts: 3,745 Pathfinder
    Canuckuk
    Yes, you can install two HDD on your Desktop.
    But please check before you get a HDD. It says 3.5" make sure you check its 3.5" . If not than you need to get a 2.5"

Click on 'Yes' if the comment answers your question!
    Click on 'Yes' if the comment answers your question!
  • dgleason349
    dgleason349 Member Posts: 1 New User
    Canuckuk, I just bought the same PC and also want to install a 2nd drive.  Did you ever get yours installed and working?  2.5" or 3.5" drive?  What mounting screw holes did you use?  Where did you find the screws with the plastic insulators?

Any help would be appreciated.  Also a newbie.
  • Canuckuk
    Canuckuk Member Posts: 2 New User
    Hi. The space in the HD bracket is for a 2.5 inch drive. I just used screws I had from another machine. You'll need a standard data cable to connect the drive to the board. I got one for less than a pound on Ebay. Was a straight forward process otherwise. Best of luck.
  • billfern
    billfern Member Posts: 1 New User
    I have a TC-885-ES18.  It came with an SSD and a regular Hard Drive installed in HDD1  The space for HDD2 is empty, but the cables etc from HDD1 take up space, I can't get another regular drive into that HDD2 spot. Yes it is a 3.5 inch drive in that space. No adjustment room to move anything either.  But I do have an empty Sata space for a third Drive.  So I am thinking of being a bit innovative.  I have a double hard drive cage from another computer, maybe could fit it in one of the SDD drives bays are, secure with screws to the supplied cage. Not sure if there is room.  Maybe buy a single cage and fit it under the HDD2 space but at 90Degrees.  Alternatively, I have used successfully, NextStar 3.5 inch Sata external drive.  They connect to the computer via a choice of USB port or Sata Connector.  This has a seperate power supply, and I could connect the Sata Connector to the Sata port on the motherboard by opening a slot at the back of the computer.  That would make the external drive act like an internal one.  Any thoughts.  It is an interesting situation, I have scrapped three computers in the last year from old age.  I have scavenged six hard drives, all working with data on them.  Using the NextStar boxes to turn these into regular usb external drives successfully.
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,700 Trailblazer
    IIRC you mount the second drive sideways from the orientation of the first one. I believe it's easier to fit the second drive in the space made for it and reroute cables as needed than to come up with a MacGyvered in drive cage for the second one. The air flow through the case is designed to leave that area open.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • ttttt
    ttttt Member Posts: 1,947 Community Aficionado WiFi Icon
    @billfern

Can you start your own thread by clicking the "ask a question" from upper right hand corner?

If your PC has the configuration of the picture provided by @Jack22, that HDD plate/tray should be good for one 3.5" HDD + one 2.5" SATA SSD/HDD or two 2.5" SATA SSD/HDD without the cables interfering each other.