Aspire A515-515-50CI - SSD type and Memory question

Rob99
Rob99 Member Posts: 25 Enthusiast WiFi Icon
edited August 2023 in 2019 Archives
Hi,

Could somebody please advise on a couple of questions. 

I'm looking to purchase M.2 SSD and I already know the laptop is compatible with SATA but can you tell me if it's also compatible with NVMe/PCIe cards. HWiNFO64 shows PCI express version as 3.0 with a maximum link width of 1x, so I'm thinking it may only be SATA but can someone please confirm just incase HWiNFO is showing the wrong data.

If SATA only then is the following SSD compatible and a good choice
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B078WQC2GQ/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&psc=1

Lastly, HWiNFO64 is showing the memory as Dual Ranked. 4GB soldered 4GB removable. If I was to buy a 8GB module (to make 12GB) then should i choose Dual Ranked or Single Ranked. I was under the impression Dual Ranked only worked for memory modules of the same size.

Thankyou

Best Answer

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,845 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    Yes, the EVO 860 is fine. Some nvmes should work too but only at SATA3 speeds so don't pay extra for an nvme. It's not dual channel. You can install either 4GB, 8GB or even 16GB DDR4 in the slot for 20GB max. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,845 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    Yes, the EVO 860 is fine. Some nvmes should work too but only at SATA3 speeds so don't pay extra for an nvme. It's not dual channel. You can install either 4GB, 8GB or even 16GB DDR4 in the slot for 20GB max. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Rob99
    Rob99 Member Posts: 25 Enthusiast WiFi Icon
    Thanks JackE I've gone ahead and purchased the EVO 860 and 1 x 8GB DDR4 single ranked module
  • JordanB
    JordanB ACE Posts: 3,729 Pathfinder
    You can check userbenchmark to see what other people are using and what kind of speeds they are getting.

https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/9282613
    I'm not an Acer employee.