NumLock doesn't stay activated all the time

kendallhx
kendallhx Member Posts: 8

Tinkerer

edited November 2023 in 2019 Archives
Before about a month or two ago, numlock stayed on constantly on my computer. Now, for some reason, whenever I LOCK my screen (win + L), numlock shuts off. The weird thing is that whenever I restart my computer, numlock stays how I left it. If I reset the computer with numlock on, it will restart with numlock on. If I reset the computer with numlock off, it will restart with numlock off. To reiterate, numlock always shuts off when I lock my screen, and it only started doing this recently.

I've tried to look up solutions on how to fix the problem, but nothing has worked. These are the three common solutions that I found that did not solve my problem:
1. Disable fast startup
2. Restart, turn on numlock, immediately restart again
3. Use registry editor to edit the value of InitalKeyboardIndicators. I saw three different values recommended to try, and none of them worked. 2, 2147483650, 80000002

I don't know if this is an Acer issue or a Windows issue, but I don't know what else to try. I'm a computer illiterate person, so I would appreciate step-by-step instructions on how to implement any fixes you recommend.

Thank you!!!

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,845 Trailblazer
    (1) What is your full ACER model number?
    (2) Other than having to press the numlock key on or off, what other problem does this cause?

Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• kendallhx
    kendallhx Member Posts: 8

Tinkerer

JackE said:
    (1) What is your full ACER model number?
    (2) Other than having to press the numlock key on or off, what other problem does this cause?

Jack E/NJ
    1. N16C7 (Aspire VX5-591G)
    2. That is the only problem it causes. It seems like a common problem for other people, too, and like I said, this is only a recent problem; I've had this computer for about a year and a half. The capslock key stays on whenever I lock my screen, and I want the numlock key to start doing that again too.
  • JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,845 Trailblazer
    This seems to be more of an annoyance than a disabling problem. it is likely due to the last major Win10 update, probably 1809. Due to the risk of creating a disabling problem or a more annoying side effect trying to fix it,  I would do nothing more for now than uninstall the KB driver from Device Manager. Reboot and let Win10 auto re-install.  If it still does the same thing, I'd leave it alone since it will probably self-resolve in time with a future update.   Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ