Aspire TC-105, static/feedback noise in headphone/line output

NakajimaH
NakajimaH Member Posts: 2 New User
edited March 1 in 2019 Archives
About a month ago my Aspire TC-105 desktop started making terrible static/feedback noise in headphone and line outputs. The only way to stop the noise is mute Stereo Mix (Realtek High Definition Audio) in the Volume Mixer window. Then, the sound from headphone and line outputs is OK, but muting of Realtek is annulled when restarted. Please help. Is this something to do with Windows 10 update?

Answers

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 33,883 Trailblazer
    Usually it just means the jack isn't fully inserted. You get cross talk between signals if the plug and jack aren't fully aligned. Sometimes the plastic around the plug interferes with seating fully.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • NakajimaH
    NakajimaH Member Posts: 2 New User
    Billsey, thank you for you quick response. Unfortunately the noise was still there even when both headphone and line outputs jacks were not plugged in. (The noise showed in the computer audio level meter.) After trying various input/output settings to no avail, I downloaded "Raltek HD Audio Manager", which I think was not a resident utility of this Aspire model. In the "Realtek HD Audio Manager" panel I found the "Stereo Mix" tab, in which I was able to set recording level to zero. This solved the noise problem and the zero setting stayed there after restarting the computer. Evidently the output of the Realtek was fed back to its input causing the noise (howling). I realized that when microphone or line input jack is not plugged in, recording level control does not appear in any of the sound device setting panels.  I kind of feel that this problem started when the automatic Windows 10 update was done last month.
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 33,883 Trailblazer
    Glad you got it sorted... Hopefully the next person with that issue will find this thread and save some time. :)
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.