Acer Swift 3 SF314-54G Power Limit Throttling

wynstelle
wynstelle Member Posts: 2 New User
edited November 2023 in 2019 Archives
I just bought this laptop 5 days ago, and it seems whenever I game on it, the game keep on stuttering.
Then I try to stress test the 8250u alone with XTU, after 30 seconds it says Power Limit Throttling, the temp was idling at 44"C, then once it is close to 75, there goes the speed getting as low as 2.1Ghz while temp stay at 64"C.

I have tried undervolt little by little, down to -115mV, and getting higher frequency up to 2.6Ghz while throttling.
I also tried increase the turbo max power to 25W, still the TDP package stuck at 15W once it is throttling.

other things that I have tried:
-update BIOS to the newest
-update windows 10 to the final version
-uninstall intel dynamic platform and thermal framework, completely even the driver inside device manager.
-update nvidia driver
-repaste the cpu and gpu

another thing that I notice is, gpu power spike to 0 on MSI afterburner, which seems the cause of stutter.
the only thing that I can think of is that Acer set this throttling inside their firmware, to keep their notebook cool.

Comments

• dcont28
    dcont28 Member Posts: 1 New User
    wynstelle said:
    I just bought this laptop 5 days ago, and it seems whenever I game on it, the game keep on stuttering.
    Then I try to stress test the 8250u alone with XTU, after 30 seconds it says Power Limit Throttling, the temp was idling at 44"C, then once it is close to 75, there goes the speed getting as low as 2.1Ghz while temp stay at 64"C.

I have tried undervolt little by little, down to -115mV, and getting higher frequency up to 2.6Ghz while throttling.
    I also tried increase the turbo max power to 25W, still the TDP package stuck at 15W once it is throttling.

-uninstall intel dynamic platform and thermal framework, completely even the driver inside device manager.
    -update nvidia driver
    -repaste the cpu and gpu

another thing that I notice is, gpu power spike to 0 on MSI afterburner, which seems the cause of stutter.
    the only thing that I can think of is that Acer set this throttling inside their firmware, to keep their notebook cool.
    Were you ever able to figure this out? I am having the same issue and can't seem to find a good answer anywhere. It's bumming me out because it's making it impossible to play games for more than 30 minutes at a time. 
  • wynstelle
    wynstelle Member Posts: 2 New User
    dcont28 said:
    wynstelle said:

-update nvidia driver
    -repaste the cpu and gpu

Were you ever able to figure this out? I am having the same issue and can't seem to find a good answer anywhere. It's bumming me out because it's making it impossible to play games for more than 30 minutes at a time. 
    I tried tweaking the hell out of it, change thermal paste helps, and install thermalpad to VRM don't do much, and undervolt CPU and GPU help alot. You can't do much really, it is designed like that, an ultrabook for gaming is just bad. 8250U is rated 15W, it can't stay at boost speed for long. That's why you don't play games that are CPU intensive.

I enjoy my Acer Swift 3 the way it is, since I usually use it for Photoshop and Illustrator, and a little gaming like FIFA and Mortal Kombat XL, it runs perfect 60fps at 1080p high.