How to make backlight staying on Acer Nitro 5

Roby_Aliv
Roby_Aliv Member Posts: 39 Troubleshooter
edited November 2023 in 2019 Archives
On my Acer Nitro 5 I updated the BIOS from 1.19 to 1.22 but now I my keyboard can't stay more than 1 minute with light can somebody help me?

Answers

• ven98
    ven98 ACE Posts: 4,073 Pathfinder
    On BIOS 1.22 not the keyboard's backlight will switch off after 30 seconds of inactivity even when the drvice is plugged in. There is no way to fix that.
    Always post the following characterisitcs of the device:
    -Model number
    -Part number(not required, but helpful)
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

Helios 300 and Nitro 5 users DO NOT update the BIOS to version 1.22 if you don't want the keyboard's backlight to turn off after 30 seconds even when the device is plugged in.

Hit 'Like' if you find the answer helpful!   
    Click on 'Yes' if the comment answers your question!

• Roby_Aliv
    Roby_Aliv Member Posts: 39 Troubleshooter
    ven98 I have
    cpu i5 8300h
    gpu gtx 1050 4gb
    os Windows 10 64 bits
  • i_love_tazzus
    i_love_tazzus Member Posts: 17 Troubleshooter
    I followed these steps for my 2018 Acer Aspire 7. I successfully downgraded from 1.22 to 1.19.

It was suggested by user AMDKilla:

You can indeed downgrade, I managed it about a month ago with BIOS 1.11 on an an515-42.

"I successfully downgraded using the Windows based Flash Utility.

You have to run the installer for the version you want, and let it get to the error about the BIOS being newer than the flash file. Keep the program open and browse to your User\Appdata\Local\Temp folder. There will be a folder called something similar to "7zS1A52.tmp" that contains a program called H20FFT-W.

Copy this folder somewhere else, and then edit the Platform.ini

Use CTRL+F to search for "flag=2". You are looking for the one under [Bios_Version_Check]

Change this 2 to a 0 and save. You can then run the H2OFFT-W program and it will flash that version to your BIOS.

REMEMBER, THIS HAS THE ABILITY TO RENDER YOUR LAPTOP AN EXPENSIVE PAPERWEIGHT!!"

File names will be slightly different as you have a different BIOS version, but the process is the same. You can ignore the post from Acer-Manny that says it's supposed to cut out after 30 seconds. They didn't read what the actual problem was before commenting. It is supposed to go off after 30 seconds, but only when on battery power. It is supposed to stay on during AC power.

Some photos of the process, and successfully rebooting to the BIOS. Protip: It's a good idea to password protect your BIOS! 

• Nckhammond
    Nckhammond Member Posts: 5

Tinkerer

I can confirm this worked perfectly to downgrade my Nitro an515-42 from 1.11 to 1.10 and corrected the keyboard backlight annoyance. It does mess up your pin login for Windows, save some time and remove it first :)