A717-71G-53HR

ErikStockholm
ErikStockholm Member Posts: 9 New User
edited August 2023 in 2019 Archives
Hi all. I've a A717-71G-53HR. It came with an intel nvme ssd of 256gb 4x PCI. It's fast as hell. I'm looking to expand storage. My computer also has 2 removable covers. One for RAM and with an free mSATA enoguh and enoguh rom for I guess a mSATA SSD..  Why doesn't my laptop have a free M.2 connector instead? Since the motherboard obviously support NVME and mSATA is slower then NVME but just as expensive as NVME ssds?

Can I still install a NVME 4x PCI SSD somehow???  Or I'm I stuck with the option for a mSATA ssd?   I read about some other guy who had to split open his  A717-72G,, but I've a 71G.

Answers

• CraigHB
    CraigHB Member Posts: 20 Troubleshooter
    edited January 2019
    That's the bay for a SATA 6GB drive.  You can use a 2.5" SATA SSD there.  You probably have to split the case to get to the M.2 slot, I had to on my 72G.  NVMe is supported only by the M.2 slot.

I think the 717-71G can support the full 3.0x4 NVMe speeds (PCI spec 3.0 with 4 lanes), but not sure.  Older laptops can only support two lanes which is half the speed, think yours is new enough though.  You do need to run in AHCI mode to get things working right with an NVMe drive, there's a BIOS setting for it.  On my 72G which is a bit newer the default is RST so I had to change it.
  • ErikStockholm
    It says 4x PCI for the intel ssd at least.  
  • ErikStockholm
    CraigHB said:
    That's the bay for a SATA 6GB drive.  You can use a 2.5" SATA SSD there.  You probably have to split the case to get to the M.2 slot. 

I think the 717-71G can support the full 3.0x4 NVMe speeds (PCI spec 3.0 with 4 lanes), but not sure.  Older laptops can only support two lanes, think yours is new enough though.  You do need to run in AHCI mode to get things working right with an NVMe drive, there's a BIOS setting for it.  On my 72G which is a bit newer the default is RST so I had to change it.
    The connector in the pictures is an mSATA right?  I'm counting 7 pins. AHCI, I've to google that one. But it allready runs on NVME. Do i still need to change bios for a secound NVME?   What storage did your 72G came with?
  • JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,845 Trailblazer
    The looks like a 2.5" drive connector. Your model also supports an m.2 nvme but you must remove the bottom cover to access it. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• ErikStockholm
    JackE said:
    The looks like a 2.5" drive connector. Your model also supports an m.2 nvme but you must remove the bottom cover to access it. Jack E/NJ

Thx. I was on the verge to buy an mSATA ssd. 
    Are you saying there is one free M.2 socket?
    Or that my intel ssd is using the one and only m.2 socket there is?... 
  • ven98
    ven98 ACE Posts: 4,073 Pathfinder
    edited January 2019
    The connector in the pictures that OP posted is a regular SATA data+sata power(the one with the more pins is for power and the other is data). You can install any 2.5inch drive to that connector.
    Always post the following characterisitcs of the device:
    -Model number
    -Part number(not required, but helpful)
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

Helios 300 and Nitro 5 users DO NOT update the BIOS to version 1.22 if you don't want the keyboard's backlight to turn off after 30 seconds even when the device is plugged in.

Hit 'Like' if you find the answer helpful!   
    Click on 'Yes' if the comment answers your question!

• CraigHB
    edited January 2019
    ErikStockholm said:The connector in the pictures is an mSATA right?  I'm counting 7 pins. AHCI, I've to google that one. But it allready runs on NVME. Do i still need to change bios for a secound NVME?   What storage did your 72G came with?
    No, mSATA is something else, that's just a regular SATA 6GB connector, common for any SATA drive.

My 72G came with 1TB HDD in the bay and a SATA drive in the m.2 slot.  It kind of angered me it didn't come with an NVMe drive in the m.2 slot.  Didn't know that until after I bought it.  So I split the case and put an Intel 760p in there and got the speeds I was expecting.  Though now I would recommend the Samsung 870 Evo or Pro having faster write speeds.

For the drive bay I pulled the HDD and put an SSD in there, Intel 545s, though again I would use a Samsung 860 Evo or Pro if I could do it over again.  Mechanical drives are pretty worthless in terms of performance, just cheap, but SSDs are getting cheaper every day.

• ErikStockholm
    ven98 said:
    The connector in the pictures that OP posted is a regular SATA data+sata power(the one with the more pins is for power and the other is data). You can install any 2.5inch drive to that connector.
    Thx. Is it worth paying for a  Samsung 860 EVO Series MZ-76E500B 500GB even though it only can celiver 600mb/s SATA 6gbs? Or I'm a just better of with a 1 or 2 tb hdd... 

• ven98
    a 7200rpm hdd can deliver around 120-130mb/s, therefore the sata ssd is around 4 times faster and much more than 4 times faster when it comes to copying small files. It is up to you to decide whether having an SSD over HDD is worth the cost.
    -Model number
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

Helios 300 and Nitro 5 users DO NOT update the BIOS to version 1.22 if you don't want the keyboard's backlight to turn off after 30 seconds even when the device is plugged in.

• ErikStockholm
    ven98 said:
    a 7200rpm hdd can deliver around 120-130mb/s, therefore the sata ssd is around 4 times faster and much more than 4 times faster when it comes to copying small files. It is up to you to decide whether having an SSD over HDD is worth the cost.
    D     Do you know if I have SATA or serial ATA-600? Lots of of ssds are said to have serial ATA-600 interface

• ven98
    Serial ATA means SATA in short and serial ATA-600 is SATA 3. There is just one type of SATA.
    -Model number
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

• CraigHB
    ErikStockholm said:The connector in the pictures is an mSATA right?  I'm counting 7 pins. AHCI, I've to google that one. But it allready runs on NVME. Do i still need to change bios for a secound NVME?   What storage did your 72G came with?

No, mSATA is something else, that's just a regular SATA 6GB connector, common for any SATA drive.

My 72G came with 1TB HDD in the bay and a SATA drive in the m.2 slot.  It kind of angered me it didn't come with an NVMe drive in the m.2 slot.  Didn't know that until after I bought it.  So I split the case and put an Intel 760p in there and got the speeds I was expecting.  Though now I would recommend the Samsung 870 Evo or Pro having faster write speeds. 

For the drive bay I pulled the HDD and put an SSD in there, Intel 545s, though again I would use a Samsung 860 Evo or Pro if I could do it over again.  Mechanical drives are pretty worthless in terms of performance, just cheap, but SSDs are getting cheaper every day.

• CraigHB

• CraigHB

• CraigHB

• CraigHB