Predator G9-593 + some fnctionality missing after Wondows 10 update

azzido
azzido Member Posts: 8 New User
edited November 2023 in 2019 Archives
Hello,
after last major update for Windows10 "windows" button is no longer working. 
I mean whenever I click it nothing happens. It should show "Start" menu of Windows 10 but it doesn't work :/ 

Also, some functionality is missing, for example when clicking on "battery" icon on a task bar there is no possibility to set level of the screen brightness. 
Before the update it was possible. 

Acer please fix those issues. 
Thank you in advance. 

Best Answer

• ven98
    ven98 ACE Posts: 4,073 Pathfinder
    Answer ✓
    Check if predator sense has an option to enable/disable windows key. Note that when you disable the touch pad windows key is also disbaled.

You can change screen brightness by pressing the FN+arrow left or arrow right. The other way to change brightnes is to open the notification bar(bottom right corner) and the icon for brightness will be there.

Whatever a windows update brings or removes that is not Acer's fault. Microsoft is the one that decides, so if you don't like some new fucntions you have to contact microsoft's suport.
    Always post the following characterisitcs of the device:
    -Model number
    -Part number(not required, but helpful)
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

Helios 300 and Nitro 5 users DO NOT update the BIOS to version 1.22 if you don't want the keyboard's backlight to turn off after 30 seconds even when the device is plugged in.

Hit 'Like' if you find the answer helpful!   
    Click on 'Yes' if the comment answers your question!

Answers

• ven98
    Answer ✓
    Check if predator sense has an option to enable/disable windows key. Note that when you disable the touch pad windows key is also disbaled.

You can change screen brightness by pressing the FN+arrow left or arrow right. The other way to change brightnes is to open the notification bar(bottom right corner) and the icon for brightness will be there.

Whatever a windows update brings or removes that is not Acer's fault. Microsoft is the one that decides, so if you don't like some new fucntions you have to contact microsoft's suport.
    -Model number
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

Helios 300 and Nitro 5 users DO NOT update the BIOS to version 1.22 if you don't want the keyboard's backlight to turn off after 30 seconds even when the device is plugged in.

• azzido
    Pathfinder thank you for help, tips regarding brightness are helpful however I am not able to enable working Windows button. I checked and in Predator Sense it is enabled, I tried to switch it several times and was checking whether it has an impact but no matter it is enabled or disabled it doesn't work. 
    I wonder if it can be anabled somewhere in Windows settings? 
  • ven98
    When you press on the start menu icon(botton left) does it open the start menu or it is the windows button on the keyboard that isn't working only?
    -Model number
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

• azzido
    It is the windows button on the keyboard that isn't working.
  • xapim
    xapim ACE Posts: 7,253 Pathfinder
    edited January 2019
    Roll back to previous windows version seems a bug to me if it was working fine why did u updated it in first place this is not an ACER issue this is microsoft who messed up again when your windows updated and this is why i have my windows updates disabled permanently in the registry if you don't have issues do not update anything i might find yourself breaking it instead of fixing if you can't roll back or if doesn't fix it i suggest backup all important stuff and go back to a clean factory reset ALT+F10 on boot

https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/11532543

UserBenchmarks: Game 43%, Desk 61%, Work 40%
    CPU: Intel Core i5-7300HQ - 63.5%
    GPU: Nvidia GTX 1050-Ti (Mobile) - 41.9%
    SSD: WDC WDS200T2B0B-00YS70 2TB - 71.4%
    HDD: WD WD10SPZX-00HKTT0 1TB - 93.7%
    RAM: Kingston HyperX DDR4 2666 C15 2x16GB - 76.8%
    MBD: Acer Predator G3-572

I'm not an Acer employee. (just here to help in the best way i can)
    If my answer fixed you issue please accept it for any other users who search for it would find it quickly thanks :)
    If you want to learn more about undervolting/optimizing windows join the Predator fb group and youtube channel:

Owner/Admin (HOTEL HERO/Red-Sand/Opoka Opoka)
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/PredatorHelios300
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCNJwGUHxSJ8FKqAhnOqQuAw
    Acer support:
    https://www.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/service-contact
    http://www.acer.com/worldwide/support/  

• azzido
    Guys I found what is an issue. 
    It turned out that somehow Winkey is linked with the touchbar! 

I have touchbar on my Predator turned off becaus I am using mouse and also because whenever it is turned on there is a red led around it always on and it is not possible to turn it off. I do not like to have a chrimstmas tree as a laptop... When I press the button near the touchpad to enable it and disable there is an icon that shows both touchbar and Winkey being enabled or disabled at the same time. 

I doubt this was done by Microsoft. 
    How silly it is? Why the hell someone linked those 2 totally different keys??? 

Any idea how to unlink it? 
  • ven98
    ven98 said:
    Read my first post.
    -Model number
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

• azzido
    ven98 said:
    ven98 said:
    Read my first post.
    Thank you very much, I missed it. 

But why it is so stupid to link them? Both are separate things and in past was not linked...
    There should be an option to unlink it or at least an option to disable crappy red led outside the touchbar :/ 

This laptop has so many issues, who provided such stupid decisions like linking touchpad with some keyboard buttons like windows???