Aspire TC-710 Desktop - replace hard drive with SSD

Options
I have an Aspire TC-710 with a 3 1/2" 2TB hard drive. I'd like to replace the hard drive with a 2 1/2" SSD. The hard drive is mounted to the chasis. Is there any article/video that explains how to replace it with a 2 1/2" drive?

Answers

• ven98
    ven98 ACE Posts: 4,073 Pathfinder
    Options
    You have a single M.2 2280 SATA port(see picture) that can be used to install an M.2 SATA SSD like this one:

This type of SSDs are as fast as a regular SATA 3 SSD.

Always post the following characterisitcs of the device:
    -Model number
    -Part number(not required, but helpful)
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

Helios 300 and Nitro 5 users DO NOT update the BIOS to version 1.22 if you don't want the keyboard's backlight to turn off after 30 seconds even when the device is plugged in.

Hit 'Like' if you find the answer helpful!   
    Click on 'Yes' if the comment answers your question!

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,722 Trailblazer
    Options
    If you have already got the 2.5" SSD, you can install it in place of the existing HDD with an adapter. It's possible there are actually 2.5" mounting points, but not all models have that option.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • tem3
    tem3 Member Posts: 3 New User
    Options
    Apparently the original hard drive on my TC-710 has failed.  I would like to replace it with an SSD.  My question is since the desktop was purchased with Windows 10 installed will I be able to install Windows 10 on the new drive without purchasing another license?  It is a nice little desktop and I would hate to have to scrap it.
  • pzuckermanaz
    pzuckermanaz Member Posts: 4 New User
    Options
    Hi tem3. I'm not sure why you are asking that question here. I asked it 2 years ago and got my answer that I could physically mount an SSD in my TC710. I did buy one and mount it, but that was after I cloned my old HD to the SSD. It worked great as soon as I replaced the HD with the SSD. It's been like a new really fast PC. If your drive failed and you don't have a backup, how will you get an SSD that works with your PC? Your question can best be answered in another forum.
  • ttttt
    ttttt Member Posts: 1,947 Community Aficionado WiFi Icon
    Options
    @tem3

It is a good idea to start your own thread by clicking "Ask a Question" at upper right hand corner of this page .

Normally I'll skip the threads marked "Solved", but just happened to stumbled on your comment here.

You don't need to purchase the Win 10 license again, as a digital license is already embedded on the motherboard. 
    When you install and activate the Win 10 , the digital license will be automatically recognized. 

Upgrading to a SSD from old style spinning HDD is actually the best value upgrade. Take this as the chance for an upgrading your PC. You will notice and appreciate the performance increase after that. 

Did you backup your PC with "Create System Image" using Win 10 previously?
    If not, you may need to download  it from the Microsoft site.
  • tem3
    tem3 Member Posts: 3 New User
    Options
    I created a Windows 10 install USB using a 32 gig 3.0 flash drive and just tried to see if I could repair or reinstall Windows on the original WD20DEZRX 2 TB drive.  No go.  The install goes as far as the first reboot and then nothing happens.  I guess because the drive is toast.  I pulled the drive and will look into purchasing an SSD drive.  I see the suggestion for the Crucial MX500 1TB 3D NAND SATA M.2 (2280SS) Internal SSD above but I was hoping to spend less.  Any other suggestions would be welcome.  Thanks.
  • pzuckermanaz
    pzuckermanaz Member Posts: 4 New User
    Options
    I really can't answer your question. I didn't use that SSD. I used this one from Crucial on my TC-710: https://www.crucial.com/ssd/mx500/CT2000MX500SSD1. It works great. The Crucial website helps you choose the right SSD for your PC (https://www.crucial.com/) and it even has a video showing how to do it (https://www.crucial.com/support/ssd/ssd-install/ssd-install-steps/part-4-download)
  • ttttt
    ttttt Member Posts: 1,947 Community Aficionado WiFi Icon
    Options
    @tem3

If I were you, I will not get this SSD, as it is not that fast, just 2,400 MB/s read. A gen 3 M.2 NVMe SSD can be close to 3,400 MB/s ( 1TB or higher capacity models, smaller capacity models will be little slower ).

How about this? Should fit your budget. 

https://www.newegg.com/silicon-power-p34a80-256gb/p/N82E16820301393?Item=N82E16820301393

I use its 500GB model for my primary PC's boot drive.
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,722 Trailblazer
    Options
    Specs say the M.2 slot in a Aspire TC-710 is for a SATA drive, not NVMe. If an NVMe will work, it will be at x2 speeds, since that is an x2 bus. You will not be able to get the x4 speeds with this hardware.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.