New battery connecting and disconnecting from charger after a certain percent. (Windows 7)

Options
yuhyeet
yuhyeet Member Posts: 1 New User
edited November 2023 in 2019 Archives
The old internal battery of my laptop was only able to hold around 50% of its original capacity, so I decided to buy a new one. After i swapped them around, I immediately tried charging the new battery to 100%. However, once I reach 56%, the laptop would just randomly connect and disconnect from charging. Whenever it reconnects, it would charge up until the next percent, then it would disconnect again, and repeat the cycle. This is consistent around 56%. The terminals for both the charger and the battery are Ok. I was wondering if this has something to do with recalibrating the power management of the laptop. I tried checking the bios for some recalibration/battery information but it's a pretty bare bios. This a Windows 7 Pro, Acer Travelmate TMP450-mg laptop. I bought a generic laptop battery from Newegg since genuine replacements for this type of battery are both expensive (in excess of $100) and hard to find. Thanks for the help.

EDIT: The results for HWMonitor and windows are consistent. They both report the same percentage. Wear Level is at 0%. The battery says its AP12A4i but it seems to fit the AP12A3i cell required for this laptop, with the same voltage. Oh and my apologies if I posted in the wrong thread, I can't switch it to the travelmate one anymore.

Answers

• tobimaru
    tobimaru Member Posts: 315 Skilled Practitioner WiFi Icon
    Options
    I bought a generic laptop battery from Newegg since genuine replacements for this type of battery are both expensive (in excess of $100) and hard to find.

I think this is likely your issue. Acer only guarantees the devices to work on approved/certified batteries. When it comes to less expensive aftermarket options; they are less expensive due to lower quality battery cells. It's also a good idea to check the production date of any Li-on battery you purchase. IF they sit unmaintained for a few years in storage, they will lose lifespan and charge range. If the battery was flat (dead) when it shipped, it likely has experienced some degradation as they should never be run flat.