Well, guess I'll need double the heating bills this year (acer vs msi)

Options
Baraa
Baraa Member Posts: 1 New User
edited April 23 in 2019 Archives
2 months ago I bought an "msi GV72 8RE" and returned it for screen flickering issues, the main selling point of it was the cooling, it has 6 heat pipes for both CPU and GPU.
after that I've ordered "acer predator helios 300", and ***** that beast is cold blooded.
specs for both laptops:
CPU: Intel core i7-8750H
GPU: Nvidia 1060 6 GB
RAM: 16GB
Hard disks: 256GB SSD + 1 TB HDD for the msi, 256GB Nvme + 1 TB HDD for the acer
Display: 17" @60fps
I've downloaded intel XTU on both and the results before undervolting the msi was thermal and power-limit throttling at 92~95 degrees, the acer before undervolting only power-limit throttled at 75~80 degrees.
after undervolting (both @-0.175V)both aren't thermally nor power-limit throttling, but the msi ran at 81~85 degrees and the fans ar running at 80%, acer (the cold blooded beast) ran at 63~70 and the fans almost 55% B)B)B)B)
down below are comparison pics from the msi and the acer

The msi

The acer

Comments

• CraigHB
    CraigHB Member Posts: 20 Troubleshooter
    Options
    I have the A717-72G which is like the consumer version of the Helios 17", same hardware just short a couple features.  Yeah it's cold blooded, fans hardly ever run unless I'm playing a 3D game or doing some CPU intensive stuff. Love how cool this thing runs, case never even gets warm.  Battery life is great too, 5 hours for desktop stuff like web browsing and video watching.