"PLUGGED IN -NOT CHARGING" ISSUE Acer Swift SF315-41

rocoa01
rocoa01 Member Posts: 15 Troubleshooter
edited April 12 in 2019 Archives
I just bought a Acer Swift SF315-41 laptop and every time I plug it in to a new outlet it the battery icon says "plugged in, not charging". Brought it back to the store and they gave me a new AC adapter thinking that was the case. I googled it and watched some videos on YouTube and what works for me is going into the Device Manager, disabling the battery drivers for ten minutes, unplugging the laptop then after ten minutes plugging it back in and enabling the drivers again and it starts charging again. Of course I am not going to do this every single time I plug and replug the computer. Any thoughts on a permanent fix or should I just return it. I am in Thailand where I purchased it and they do not usually give a money refund but a new laptop however first they try to fix it and I dont know if I want to keep going back and forth. Thank you in advance for any assistance.  

Comments

• Jack22
    Jack22 ACE Posts: 3,733 Pathfinder
    rocoa01
    First try the below steps and check how it goes.
    power drain: Just check the back of the unit, you can find a pin hole , unplug the charger and turn off the unit. now put a paper clip in the small pin hole and press and hold it for 30 sec.
    BIOS default: After power drain is done, power on the unit, but as soon as you power on the unit keep pressing the F2 key so that it take you to BIOS page. Press F9 and press Enter than press F10 and press Enter. the unit will restart
    If the above step dont work than try once uninstall and the driver and  restart the unit and check. Make sure you also try different outlet and try to check the charger which you using is the right one for your laptop.

Click on 'Yes' if the comment answers your question!
  • OK! Try these procedures:
    a) uninstall the AC adapter and battery drivers in the device manager and restart the notebook:

Then verify that the problem remains!

b) Disable fast start up in the power options and turn off the notebook:

Then press this button for five seconds:

leave the notebook off for five minutes;
    c) Try to update windows 10 through windows update and the notebook drivers with the free version of driverbooster: https://www.iobit.com/en/driver-booster.php#

d) Verify that updating bios resolves the issue. This procedure is extremely risky and should only be done in the latter case: 
    https://global-download.acer.com/GDFiles/BIOS/BIOS/BIOS_Acer_2.12_A_A.zip?acerid=636820046853592408&Step1=ULTRA-THIN&Step2=SWIFT&Step3=SF315-41&OS=ALL&LC=pt&BC=ACER&SC=PA_3
    Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • rocoa01
    Thank you, I updated the drivers, this  didnt work but i just did the total procedure and its working, I will see if it continues to work when i plug it in to a different outlet tonight. Update later
  • rocoa01
    Jack22 said:
    rocoa01
    power drain: Just check the back of the unit, you can find a pin hole , unplug the charger and turn off the unit. now put a paper clip in the small pin hole and press and hold it for 30 sec.
    BIOS default: After power drain is done, power on the unit, but as soon as you power on the unit keep pressing the F2 key so that it take you to BIOS page. Press F9 and press Enter than press F10 and press Enter. the unit will restart
    If the above step dont work than try once uninstall and the driver and  restart the unit and check. Make sure you also try different outlet and try to check the charger which you using is the right one for your laptop.

Jack22 said:
    rocoa01

Thank you, I am going to try a few other steps first. I really don't want to mess with the bios, scared ill screw it up worse. but if the other steps dont work I will try this. Thanks for taking the time to reply.
  • Dannyufcfan
    Dannyufcfan Member Posts: 51 Die Hard WiFi Icon
    Hi, I'm having this same issue. I have tried all steps up above and nothing is fixing it. Strangely, the problem only seems to come when the battery has a charge above 90 percent, then I get the 'plugged in, not charging' message.

This is the second charger I have used, so I know that is not the issue.

Any ideas? Thanks. 
  • You can try disassembly the notebook and disconnect the lithium battery! Then press the power button for thirty seconds and connect the battery again!
    https://www.laptopmain.com/acer-swift-3-review-disassembly-ssd-hdd-upgrade-options/
    If your notebook is still under warranty, I suggest you do not try to open it!
    Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • rocoa01
    Hi, I'm having this same issue. I have tried all steps up above and nothing is fixing it. Strangely, the problem only seems to come when the battery has a charge above 90 percent, then I get the 'plugged in, not charging' message.

Any ideas? Thanks. 
    I went to the computer shop today and the guy told me that it could be that the computer will not charge once it reaches a certain threshold, it helps save the battery continuing to charge a battery at 100% shortens its life. I know if he is correct or not, sounds strange. 
  • rocoa01
    You can try disassembly the notebook and disconnect the lithium battery! Then press the power button for thirty seconds and connect the battery again!
    https://www.laptopmain.com/acer-swift-3-review-disassembly-ssd-hdd-upgrade-options/
    You can try disassembly the notebook and disconnect the lithium battery! Then press the power button for thirty seconds and connect the battery again!
    Thank you for your comment but I just bought this computer earlier this week, I really don't want to dissasemble it, that could void the warranty and if it keeps saying "plugged in-not charging" I will end up taking it back.
  • Dannyufcfan
    rocoa01 said:

Any ideas? Thanks. 
    I went to the computer shop today and the guy told me that it could be that the computer will not charge once it reaches a certain threshold, it helps save the battery continuing to charge a battery at 100% shortens its life. I know if he is correct or not, sounds strange. 
    I suppose this is a possibility as this only happens to me when the battery has a charge over 90%. I will ask them about it. 

I have no other ideas, I've tried everything including resetting the battery. 
  • He is correct. However, this blocking of the battery charge after 90% should be done by some function of the bios or by some program that controls the power options!

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• dodiyat
    dodiyat Member Posts: 2 New User
    rocoa01 said:
    Jack22 said:
    rocoa01

Jack22 said:
    rocoa01

Thank you, I am going to try a few other steps first. I really don't want to mess with the bios, scared ill screw it up worse. but if the other steps dont work I will try this. Thanks for taking the time to reply.
     Of course I am not going to do this every single time I plug and replug the computer. Any thoughts on a permanent fix or should I just return it. I am in Thailand where I purchased it and they do not usually give a money refund but a new laptop however first they try to fix it and I dont know if I want to keep going back and forth. Thank you in advance for any assistance.  
  • What is the version bios?

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• Dannyufcfan
    He is correct. However, this blocking of the battery charge after 90% should be done by some function of the bios or by some program that controls the power options!

So, if this is done to extend the battery life span, the only way to change this would be in BIOS? Is that correct? And if so, can you tell me how to change it if possible? Thanks. 
  • Should some function in bios as:
    Resultado de imagem para battery charger bios

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• Dannyufcfan
    Should some function in bios as:
    Resultado de imagem para battery charger bios
    Thank you. At least I know what''s causing it now. I thought for sure the battery was broke.
  • Make sure your bios has some similar function and let us know!

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• Dannyufcfan
    Make sure your bios has some similar function and let us know!
    OK, I just checked and there is no option for this in the BIOS of this laptop :( I thought that was going to be the fix! Thanks for your help anyway.