Windows 10 Automatic Updates

GenXrail
GenXrail Member Posts: 10

Tinkerer

edited August 2023 in 2019 Archives
I was working with my Aspire 576G-5762 tonight.  I was advised of a pending Windows 10 update, so I went ahead and restarted the computer.  The first change I noticed was my screen resolution was changed.  So I changed the magnification back to my liking.  Knowing that these updates have a history of messing up settings and drivers, I started checking around and trying things.  While trying to record audio with Audacity, all of my Windows sound settings were restored to the defaults.  My colors didn't look right, so I right clicked on my desktop to open my Intel graphics settings.  I get an error message saying that my display settings are unavailable.  Great.  So, I successfully updated the driver and my display seems to be alright for now, though I notice my taskbar is no longer black like it used to be.  

Just before I started typing this, I tried to turn my system volume down using the fn key and up/down arrows.  Nothing happened until about 15-20 seconds later.  I tried it just now and my sound meter shows up, but theres still a delay.  

Now I'm asked if I'm experiencing sound issues.  I clicked on the troubleshooter and it asked if I wanted to change the sound enhancements.  I cancelled it since I didn't want to screw anything else up. 

My notifications says both my firewall and Avast are turned off.  I opened Avast and it says it's working. 

I had issues with my old computer after one of these updates.  This latest update said it was from April 2018.  (?)   All I know is that I have lost an hour tonight trying to set everything back up the way I want it.  I took me a month to get everything where I wanted it before this latest update!  

People have told me to just disable the automatic Win 10 updates.  Doesn't that defeat the purpose and pose a possible security risk?  All I know is that I am g---***** tired of Microsoft kicking over my sandcastle every time they decide to update. 

Thoughts?  

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,478 Trailblazer
    Open Control Panel. Search 'restore point'. Click 'create a restore point' in the left pane. Hope that System Protection was turned on. Then click the system restore box. Click next. And click on the auto restore point that messed things up. After restoring, turn your wifi off for a while so that Win10update can't mess things up again so fast.

Then uninstall, don't just disable or turn off, ALL non-MS antivirus like Avast, AVG, McAfee, Norton, Malwarebytes, etc or anything else you think you need for extra special protection. All you need are Windows Defender, malicious software tool and an occasional scan by a standalone like McAfee stinger if you suspect anything. Trust me, you don't need the extra 3rd party baggage that often don't play nice with Win10updates (or vice-versa).

Then turn your wifi back on and see how badly Win10update messes things up again.

Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• GenXrail
    GenXrail Member Posts: 10

Tinkerer

JackE said:

Then uninstall, don't just disable or turn off, ALL non-MS antivirus like Avast, AVG, McAfee, Norton, Malwarebytes, etc or anything else you think you need for extra special protection. All you need are Windows Defender, malicious software tool and an occasional scan by a standalone like McAfee stinger if you suspect anything. Trust me, you don't need the extra 3rd party baggage that often don't play nice with Win10updates (or vice-versa).

Then turn your wifi back on and see how badly Win10update messes things up again.

Jack E/NJ

Have I been drinking the anti-virus Kool Aid too long?  I don't know much about Windows Defender, but maybe I'm guilty of assuming that it's inferior or inadequate.  I just paid for an entire year of Avast for three devices in our house.  You mentioned a "malicious software tool:"  which one do you recommend?  And as far as the occasional scan by a "standalone," what do you mean exactly?  Wouldn't that involve installing the same software that you recommend I remove?  Not trying to argue here, just trying to understand my options. 

Thank you!

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,478 Trailblazer
    In addition to Win10 Defender, you already have the freebie Win10 'malicious software removal tool' installed. They're both regularly auto Win10updated.

For the malicous removal tool, press the WINkey+Rkey. Enter 'mrt'. It's a standalone scanner, sort of like McAfee's stinger.

Stinger is quite thorough antimalware and rootkit remover freeware. I use whenever I suspect anything weird is going on that Defender or MRT might've missed. Stinger has an experimental Windows Defender-like tool called RealProtect which loads on startup unless you don't want it to. https://www.mcafee.com/enterprise/en-us/downloads/free-tools/stinger.html. Stinger is also regularly updated every time you run it if updates are available. Usually once a week.

Jack E/NJ   

Jack E/NJ