Nitro 5 - AN515-53 Problems

Nortlands
Nortlands Member Posts: 3 New User
edited November 2023 in 2019 Archives
I just recently purchased this machine (4 days ago)and have had problems from the beginning.

Firstly upon opening the packaging and powering up it gave me a (No Bootable Device) error right off the bat. After numerous power downs and ups it finally initialized the windows settings sequence (wifi password, user account names and preferences etc...) That failed about 5-6 times until it finally completed. I get into windows and it wouldnt do anything, full or errors. I had to (reset windows) basally doing a factory install.

After that we were back to the no bootable devices found error, maybe 4-5 times. Then at-last I was able to log into my windows account only to be presented with a number of (blue screens for various reasons). At this point I have become very frustrated as I would have imagined a BRAND NEW LAPTOP out of the box probably shouldn't behave in this manner.

I download stability testing software to check the ram, runs fine for 1 hour no problem, I check the SSD and HDD health status, they are also fine. I update all drivers to the latest approved versions. I disable fast boot (usually fixed no bootable device error) for the most part that problem has gone away. Although in some instances after randomly crashing it will present that error to me after powering on.

Everything seems to settle down and I have a chance to install a game, and blackmagic davinci and adobe premiere pro. I figure lets try a game, and edit some video and encode(render).

3-5 Minutes into PUBG I can see it start to get sluggish, the audio becomes glitched and ultimately the system freezes, this happens in two ways typically. One is the screen will show the game(frozen) and I will have to manually power it down. The other way is a blue screen will appear, build through the progress 0 - 100% then shut down to an unknown exception. Both these happen when trying to render video as well, editing goes fine, but once it comes to rendering it just locks up and shuts down.

In the midst of writing this it crashed as well, GPU temps are fine, and the CPU only seems to reach 80C+ before it crashes. I understand the thermal Junction for the 8750H (the processor i am using) is 100C.

I just would like an answer or some help to fix this problem. As the laptop is basically unusable. I think it unacceptable that a new laptop is like this.

Specs are as follows

8750H
16GB DDR4 2666
128GB M.2 SSD HYNIX
1TB WD BLUE 5400 RPM HDD
NVIDIA GTX 1050 4GB
1080p IPS screen
Intel A/C wifi
Windows 10 Home latest updates applied.

Answers

• MaxGamer
    MaxGamer Member Posts: 110 Skilled Fixer WiFi Icon
    Hi @Nortlands

It is surely unfortunate to experience these kind of issues with a brand new Acer Nitro 5. Since it is a brand new product, I would recommend contacting your retailer for a replacement/refund as per your choice, as I don't think troubleshooting a new system is a choice which I would prefer if it happened with me. 

Also, seeing the errors like No Bootable Device means a corrupted boot file in most cases. As yours is a new laptop, it shouldn't be happening in the first boot, which points out to the fact that it could be a fact of a damaged HDD/SSD (depending where the OS is installed, I am not quite sure about this). 
    Secondly, is the blue screen of death error code similar in every case or different? A screenshot would be helpful in this case. 

Don't forget to accept my answer if I was able to help you out!
    Just a tech enthusiast who tries to help other people : )

Acer Nitro AN515-52-593F ||Intel Core i5-8300H upto 4.00 GHz/GTX1050/8GB 2666 MHz DDR4 RAM/1TB 7200RPM HGST HDD+16B Intel Optane Memory||

Acer Support: https://support.acer.com/
  • Nortlands
    Nortlands Member Posts: 3 New User
    Anyway. The problem was the M.2 SSD needed to be re-seated, I opened it up systematically went through everything... one thing at a time, and upon removing and replacing the ssd my problems went away. EXCELLENT workmanship....