Helios 500 cannot obtain power

Vakama
Vakama Member Posts: 7 New User
edited November 2023 in 2019 Archives
Hi guys,

I bought a new Helios 500 (1080p, GTX 1070 one) about a month and it kept working just great. But today, suddenly it just on and off charging the battery. Few minutes it was showing a red light, then there was the charging bip sound then the battery light and turn into blue, then awhile later it shows red again. I only paid attention when after around an hour later the low battery warning showed up. At that time, it seemed the charging is quite unsatisfactory and the power remained around 15% to 20%. I then put a paperclip into that battery pinhole and  reset the battery. But, after that, it cannot charge the battery anymore, nor it could obtain AC power directly. I cannot now even turn it on as it only shows battery critically low.

Does anyone encounter this problem and know how to solve it? Thanks in advance.

Marco

Best Answers

• ven98
    ven98 ACE Posts: 4,073 Pathfinder
    Answer ✓
    If it is not charging the problem could either be in the laptop or the charger. To find out whether the problem is you have to check whether the charger is working by using a tool measuring the voltage(multimeter). If the charger doesn't give out any voltage, then the problem is in it. If it outputs voltage, then the problem is in the laptop. Either way you have to contact Acer support and send your device for a repair.
    Always post the following characterisitcs of the device:
    -Model number
    -Part number(not required, but helpful)
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

Helios 300 and Nitro 5 users DO NOT update the BIOS to version 1.22 if you don't want the keyboard's backlight to turn off after 30 seconds even when the device is plugged in.

Hit 'Like' if you find the answer helpful!   
    Click on 'Yes' if the comment answers your question!

• Commodore_1995#
    Commodore_1995# ACE Posts: 97,716 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    Can you find a button like that?

This is the power interruption button that several notebooks have. He can not be properly depressed. Check for any loose screws in the lower case.
    Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 

Answers

• What is the exact model of your notebook? Example ph317-51! Can you access the bios and windows?
    Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • Vakama
    Hi, model is Acer Predator Helios 500 PH517-51-72NU. No I cannot access bios and windows. When I turn it on, the screen only shows a large battery icon with the words Critical Low.

Marco

• ven98
    ven98 ACE Posts: 4,073 Pathfinder
    Answer ✓
    If it is not charging the problem could either be in the laptop or the charger. To find out whether the problem is you have to check whether the charger is working by using a tool measuring the voltage(multimeter). If the charger doesn't give out any voltage, then the problem is in it. If it outputs voltage, then the problem is in the laptop. Either way you have to contact Acer support and send your device for a repair.
    Always post the following characterisitcs of the device:
    -Model number
    -Part number(not required, but helpful)
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

Helios 300 and Nitro 5 users DO NOT update the BIOS to version 1.22 if you don't want the keyboard's backlight to turn off after 30 seconds even when the device is plugged in.

Hit 'Like' if you find the answer helpful!   
    Click on 'Yes' if the comment answers your question!

• Commodore_1995#
    edited January 2019
    I agree with colleague @ven98! However I wonder if you tested it on another electrical outlet and your electrical outlet has adequate grounding? Can you test with another power adapter?

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• Commodore_1995#
    Answer ✓
    Can you find a button like that?

This is the power interruption button that several notebooks have. He can not be properly depressed. Check for any loose screws in the lower case.

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• Vakama
    Thanks you guys. 

Yes, the electrical outlet has adequate grounding, I guess, as it could support my bothers Asus gaming laptop. I tried to use Asus power adapter but nope the head of the line is just not fit. And I don't have to tools to test it.

But err, a strange thing just happened. It charged again. Before the battery died, I have connected the cable and tried to charge it. The result was that no power could be obtained. The battery light was in red, flashing very slowly, and no power. I tried several times already this after but only got the same result. 

I just went to eat something. Before leaving, I disconnected the cable. After coming back, I put them together again. This time, the battery light still in red but does not flash. About twenty minutes later, I turn it on. It shows that the battery is 26%. But then it stops charging and the battery light is off. I then turned it off. But this time back to the earlier situation, battery light slowly flashing in red, no charging. 

But that also means I can get into bios. What should I do after I get in there? Yeah, I guess I have to call Acer anyway, just that whole week next week I am busy and the Acer centre is quie far away from my office. And I just want to play some games after several months over time working..... :s

Marco

• Did you check my tip above?

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• Vakama
    No not yet. It was not there when I typed the reply. Will try now.
  • Vakama
    What should I do if I can find it? press it?
  • Vakama
    I could not find it. I saw you post a picture in this thread https://community.acer.com/en/discussion/554644/acer-predator-helios-500-not-booting-up. So do I have to remove the whole bottom to find it?

Marco
  • As your notebook is still under warranty, I do not recommend that you try to open it. Just make sure all the lower case screws are pressed firmly!

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• Vakama
    I see. Thanks for the reply. Hope it could be easily fixed.

Marco
  • Have you tried pressing all the screws? The current notebooks have an interlock button, which interrupts the power when not pressed properly!

egydiocoelho Trailblazer