@Acer can you change the cTDP of the nitro ans515-42?

Options
Redfan
Redfan Member Posts: 65 Devotee WiFi Icon
edited November 2023 in 2019 Archives
at its current configuration of 18w the processor is not being used at its fullest, can you provide a BIOS option that raises the cTDP to 25w from 18w?

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,482 Trailblazer
    Options
    Control Panel power plan must be set to high performance, battery charged near 100%, and laptop plugged in for maximum CPU power usage. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• tobimaru
    tobimaru Member Posts: 315 Skilled Practitioner WiFi Icon
    Options
    Intel Extreme Tuning Utility and ThrottleStop both give you some control over TDP with settings like voltage offset. To get the CPU to use that extra TDP headroom will mean higher voltage and higher thermals.
  • Redfan
    edited January 2019
    Options
    im not worried about thermals from an extra 7 watts as the cpu is usually on the 40c range, that's why I got an amd, they run a bit cooler. anyone know how can I change the cTDP. I know its not the plugged in, that can be reproduced putting the processor at 100% but having it at 18w... the laptop could be much better at 25w over 18w (it can sustain 3.2ghz on all cores on 18w but it could really have a boost if it had the extra 7w enabled) the cTDP does not relly on power source and as far as im aware it would take a bios flash or something since AMD lets companies configure the cTDP from 12w-25w. I was expecting it to be 25w since its sold as a "vr ready gaming laptop"<-bestbuy so when I learnt it was 18w I was pretty disappointed, hopefully someone here can post a way to change the cTDP to 25w.
  • JackE
    Options
    >>>Control Panel power plan must be set to high performance, battery charged near 100%, and laptop plugged in for maximum CPU power usage. >>>

>>>I know its not the plugged in, >>>

How do you know this? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Redfan
    Options
    @JackE I called Acer Nitro support and asked them what the cTDP was for the -42 (ryzen 5) and after a while and going talking to the manager they said they could tell me, its configured at cTDP 18W. 
    even plugged in it won't do over the configured watts. a shame really since the cpu stays quite cool and is boosting to 3.2ghz on all cores which is enough for VR and gaming, but the processor could do way better if the extra 7W is enabled in a new bios flash.
  • JackE
    Options
    That may be so. But messing with or otherwise modding the BIOS firmware has a high risk of bricking or creating unintended adverse side-effects.  Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• AumShanti
    AumShanti Member Posts: 18 Troubleshooter
    Options
    The last time I checked using AMD uProf, the cTDP is already configured at 25W.
  • JackE
    Options
    Thanks  AumShanti   Can you check again and maybe post here what you did for the  Redfan's benefit. What is your BIOS firmware version? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Redfan
    Options
    his bios is 1.10 so have to change from factory. the cTDP of 1.09 is 18w according to acer costumer "support