How to install additional 2.5" hdd in Acer Swift 3 SF314-54?

Options
inf_recursion
inf_recursion Member Posts: 2 New User
I found that Acer Swift 3 SF314-54 which comes with a 256 G SSD also has an additional slot for 2.5" HDD. I opened the model and removed the battery but could not locate the slot. Does anyone know where this slot is located and what parts are necessary to install it? A diagram highlighting the area would be really helpful. Thanks!

Best Answer

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,483 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    Options
    If you're in the US or Canada, you can request the 2.5"HDD installation kit from  here https://csapps.acer.com/kit-request/#submit  Otherwise, you can do what I prefer to do. Use antistat foam to immobilize and protect the HDD inside the case instead of a bracket, and a standard internal 2.5" SATA3 HDD ribbon cable to connect the HDD to the mainboard SATA3 HDD connector if you need it . Jack E/NJ   

Jack E/NJ

Answers

• JackE
    Options
    Here you go. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Kris66
    Kris66 Member Posts: 1 New User
    Options
    Hello i have an acer swift SF314-54-555T
    how have you installed the additional ssd ? I have a samsung ssd 840 pro.
    how to install it inside ?
    thank you ;)
  • JackE
    Options
    Kris66 You must remove the screws and bottom cover and install the 840 in the slot shown by the red arrow. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• inf_recursion
    inf_recursion Member Posts: 2 New User
    Options
    JackE said:
    Here you go. Jack E/NJ

Thanks for the reply. For my model I have a similar empty area. Do you know the specific parts required to install the hdd like - the brackets, cables and type of screws?
  • JackE
    Answer ✓
    Options
    If you're in the US or Canada, you can request the 2.5"HDD installation kit from  here https://csapps.acer.com/kit-request/#submit  Otherwise, you can do what I prefer to do. Use antistat foam to immobilize and protect the HDD inside the case instead of a bracket, and a standard internal 2.5" SATA3 HDD ribbon cable to connect the HDD to the mainboard SATA3 HDD connector if you need it . Jack E/NJ   

Jack E/NJ

• anitarotto
    anitarotto Member Posts: 2 New User
    Options
    Hi the request form is not valid, and it seems can't find the standard internal 2.5" SATA3 HDD ribbon cable in Canada, what I can do 
  • JackE
    edited April 2019
    Options
    anitarotto  >>>Hi the request form is not valid>>>

What do you mean? What error did you get? Missing cable? Did you submit it at the appropriate time?  https://csapps.acer.com/kit-request/#submit  Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• PanPag
    PanPag Member Posts: 2 New User
    Options
    Hi!
    I bought an Acer Aspire a315-41 r46a and I want to put an extra disk and I don't know how...
    Does anybody know how?
  • JackE
    Options
    First you have to know if you have a 2.5" HDD/SSD or an m.2 SSD installed.  Press Win+R. Enter 'msinfo32'. Click on 'storage' folder in left pane. Click 'disk'. What is model number listed? Google the number to find out if it's a 2.5" or m.2 disk. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• PanPag
    PanPag Member Posts: 2 New User
    Options
    The model of the disk is SanDisk SD9SN8W256G1014 ssd M.2
  • JackE
    Options
    Then you can add just about any size a 2.5" SATA3 HDD or SSD . You must remove 12 screws from the bottom cover. Then pry the cover off starting from the hinge area on the right as shown below. Then disconnect the battery,  remove 2 battery holding screws and remove the battery. The 2.5" HDD mainboard connector will be labelled CON5102 into which is plugged a standard 2.5" internal HDD SATA3 flat ribbon cable. The ACER cable part number is 50.GSLN5.006 but any 2.5" HDD cable that fits inside the case should work. The 2.5" HDD can be protected inside the case with antistatic foam instead of a bracket if you have trouble finding the bracket part no 33.GSLN5.004.  Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• eligriv
    eligriv Member Posts: 1 New User
    Options
    hello I'm from France, I would like to know if the installation kit was also available here?
  • JackE
    edited August 2022
    Options
    Probably available but not for free. The HDD bracket and cable may already be installed in your laptop but you must open bottom cover to see.

Jack E/NJ