Upgrading RAM to 8G on REVO RL-80

gbergeron
gbergeron Member Posts: 1 New User
edited March 1 in 2019 Archives
I have a REVO RL-80. I tried upgrading the 4G RAM it came with, to 8G. I bought a supposedly identical memory card as the one that's already in, but it is registering only 4G. I tried several things. First, I made sure it is not the new card that is defective: I put only that in Slot 1 (the one where the old card was) and it registered alright so it works. I then thought it might be that Slot 2 was defective so I tried putting only the old card on Slot 2. It also registered the 4G alright. So neither the card nor the slot are defective. I tried swapping the old card into slot 2 and put the new one in slot 1, just in case. It still registered only 4G.  So I am defeated. What can be the issue? Since the cards are supposedly the same, and they both work and the slots work fine, there should not be a compatibility issue. Is there a setting in the BIOS that specifies how much RAM this can accept (the instruction manual clearly says it should accept 8G). Anything else one can think of? Thanks for any help. 

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,478 Trailblazer
    Check all your DDR3L module specs against the 8GB kit specs listed in this link https://www.crucial.com/usa/en/compatible-upgrade-for/Acer/revo-rl80

Also, the BIOS menu often needs to be accessed with both modules recognized as 8GB total then F10 to save settings and exit. Jack E/NJ 

Jack E/NJ

• MaClane
    MaClane ACE Posts: 35,598 Trailblazer
    Good night gbergeron !

What is the exact model of your REVO?
    Example: RL80-UR318
    What model RAM specification did you get?

Almost all models work with DDR3 without DDR3L support.

Se minha resposta foi útil, deixe um Curtir, marque como Solucionado e clique em Promover!
    Caso contrario, fico a disposição para tentarmos sanar suas duvidas e resolver seus problemas!
    Atenciosamente:  J. MaClane™

If my answer was helpful, leave a Like, flag as Fixed and click Promote!
    Otherwise, I am willing to try to heal your doubts and solve your problems!
    Sincerely, J. MaClane ™

For users of the English, Spanish, French and German Community, I will be using Google Translate!