Chromebooks not automatically updating?

Dubois_Beaver
Dubois_Beaver Member Posts: 9 New User
edited November 2023 in 2019 Archives
We have a little over 1100 Acer Chromebooks in our School District. The administrative console is set up to allow automatic updates exactly like the Google Chrome Enterprise site recommends. When we get one back for service, it usually isn't current in its OS version. Is anyone else experiencing this issue, and how did you fix it. Thanks!

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,845 Trailblazer
    >>>When we get one back for service>>>

What do you mean back 'for' service? If 'from', who service's the machines? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Dubois_Beaver
    I mean when one is in need of repair from a cart or returned from our cyber program.
  • JackE
    Sorry, I'm not familiar with either your district's cart or cyber program. Perhaps another ACER user can help you. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Dubois_Beaver
    The bottom line is that they are not automatically updating when everything is set for that to happen. Maybe I should contact Google.
  • Dubois_Beaver
    Two years at most.
  • JackE
    Well, check the ACER models that are still supported https://support.google.com/chrome/a/answer/6220366?hl=en
    Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Dubois_Beaver
    Yep, absolutely all still supported.
  • JackE
    Better check with Google because I'm not sure how or why automatic updating wouldn't be working now in some if they're all set up the same way. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Manny-Acer_Retired
    Manny-Acer_Retired Newbie Posts: 4,453 Guru
    Hi Dubois_Beaver,

I am very sorry to hear this, based on the information you provided and what the Acer service center technician process is, when a unit is repair (Chromebooks or Windows based notebooks), is the O.S. is service then its returned to the original factory settings (which will not be the updated version), and this is what i am guessing you're referring too here when you mentioned that "when you get one back from service".

Have you tried contacting our Acer support line for assistance? Does your school has a Premier account with Acer? 

If you can please send me your contact information (Phone, School district, Chromebook models, O.S. Version, at least one S/N), via PM i can try to assist you in the best possible way.

Thanks,
    Acer_Manny 
  • Dubois_Beaver
    Let me clarify. When I say "get one back for service" I'm referring to one that has come back to me at my workbench for any number of reasons. We have multiple mobile carts throughout our district stocked with up to 30 chromebooks, as well as many chromebooks that are part of our "Cyber" program. Students take these cyber ones home. When they are returned to the district I basically clean them up, both physically and to insure the OS is current. The chromebooks from the carts are returned to me when keys disappear, screens get broken, or the OS will not boot. In either situation, the last thing I do before returning them to service is check for available OS updates. There always seem to be updates available. Our management console is set as google suggests for automatic updating. That is the root of my question. They are NOT automatically updating and I wonder why. I have searched countless blogs, websites, and support forums without an answer. That's why I tried here. I can't be the only person with this question, yet I can't find any answers.
  • JackE
    >>> Our management console is set as google suggests for automatic updating. That is the root of my question. >>>

I think this is the root of my own confusion on this. Please post a link --- or a link to a procedure --- or anything that I can review --- that will  show or explain that your management console is set as google suggests for automatic updating. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Dubois_Beaver
    Here is how they recommend and how ours is setup.
  • JackE
    edited January 2019
    Well, if it's not updating, then the only two suspects I can see at a glance would be that the chromebooks are either being put to sleep but never really re-booted to complete updates that require a re-boot and/or the default update signal isn't reaching the chromebook. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 33,883 Trailblazer
    I'm not positive, but that setting may just allow the Chromebook to be set for auto updates, as opposed to forcing them to auto update. Do you also see an option in the pull down  to force the mode?
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • Manny-Acer_Retired
    Hi Dubois_Beaver,

Sorry to hear this, are you running on Dev. mode?

Before you started working on them, did you dis-enroll from the admin console? 

When you say "they recommend" who are you referring to? Do you have an Premier account with Acer?  

Thanks in advance,
    Acer-Manny 
  • Dubois_Beaver
    I never dis-enrolled them, because usually it was just a matter of checking for updates The recommendations are what Google advises on their Chromebook support site. We do not have an ACER premier account.
  • Manny-Acer_Retired
    Thanks for the reply Dubois_Beaver, so can you confirm that they are not on Developer mode?

Have you tried to contact Acer support?

Acer-Manny 

• Dubois_Beaver
    They are not in developer mode. We have a cart of 30 machines today that roughly 50% have automatically updated. The others will do so manually with no problem. All were initially setup at the same time last year by the same person.
  • Manny-Acer_Retired
    Dubois_Beaver, please PM me your contact information for follow up.

Thanks in advance,
    Acer-Manny