My ambitious plan for my Predator g3-710-uc11. Can my PC take these upgrades?

MrMeowzaki
MrMeowzaki Member Posts: 2 New User
edited February 15 in 2019 Archives
I've had my Acer Predator g3-710-uc11 for around 8 months now. I have a very ambitious plan and I want to swap out my 1070 for a 1080 ti, run a two monitor setup (one is 4k and the other is 1080p which is the one I have right now), swap out my CPU for a faster one (because I will probably need the extra power for the 1080ti), and add 2 TB to my memory. I don't know if the Intel i7 7700 has enough juice to use the full potential of the 1080 ti while running two monitors. If I do get a 1080ti and a faster CPU this creates two problems. I need a higher PSU in order to power all of this and I will need extra cooling, so my PC doesn't melt. My g3-710-uc11 only has one fan. I don't know what the size is in mm, but I don't think it will be enough to cool a thicc CPU and a 1080ti. Also if I'm running a 1080 ti and playing at 4k on one monitor and have the other open for youtube and discord, how much extra power would that take from my GPU/CPU. If it takes enough that my frames drop below 60 on my 4k game then how could I fix that issue. Do I need more ram? I already have 32gb of it.

Answers

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,454 Trailblazer
    I think you'll have fewer issues than you think... Other than an upgrade from the i7-7700. The 1070 and 1080 ti use similar amounts of power so you likely won't have to bump the supply itself up (I think you have 500W now, but check to be sure). 2TB to your storage is easy and won't drive you over your power budget. Make sure you get one of the faster drives, a 5400 RPM version just won't be to your liking, 7200 or 10k is better. You should be able to drop any of the seventh gen processors in, but the 7700 is pretty close to the max. The i7-770K runs at a bit higher speed, but the BIOS doesn't have overclocking enabled so you just get that base speed update, nothing past it. The second monitor is unlikely to make much difference in terms of drawing the 4K down, there's almost nothing happening on it after all, but you may have issues driving the 4K at 60FPS. Maybe someone here who's tried that combo will pop in and let us know how they've done. I expect you'll be able to do close to that goal though.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • gtbslayer13
    gtbslayer13 Member Posts: 3 New User
    I use my 1070 on 4K with 2 monitors, on low settings for Fortnite it’s good. (I overclocked it on MSI afterburner) but besides that it would be fine even at standard. CSGO gives me 150+ FPS on 4K. You don’t need to worry about 4k
  • zugie01
    zugie01 Member Posts: 5

Tinkerer

edited November 2019
    It was my understanding the motherboard won't take anything past 6th gen.   which cpu did your's come with?  If this is not true, could any acer staff correct me please as I would love to upgrade as well.  
  • zugie01
    zugie01 Member Posts: 5

Tinkerer

bios is R01.A4.  no 7th gen in this machine.   maybe my other one.