Corrupt BIOS after portableapps.com program execution.

Drifty
Drifty Member Posts: 21 Troubleshooter
edited August 2023 in 2019 Archives
Can boot into win 10(home) BUT cannot enable usb boot for ssd or flash drives.

Acer Aspire E 15 Laptop, 15.6" Full HD, 8th Gen Intel Core i5-8250U, GeForce MX150, 8GB RAM Memory, 256GB SSD, E5-576G-5762  6 months old.

Best Answers

• Drifty
    Answer ✓
    Maybe? Dl'd macrium  and when tried to build emergency backup, there was no USB choice..cd/dvd. This is the issue NO USB access setup from bios.
  • Drifty
    Answer ✓
    will bootstick have any identifying folders that tell if i did make it for gpt?
  • Drifty
    Answer ✓
    um, well i used macrium to make to stick...it worked and am restoring back to 11 dec from usb SSD now...

• Drifty
    Answer ✓
    well I found RUFUS...must I be on the UEFI drive when making the boot stick? Can I use it on either type of machine? Thanks !!!
  • JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,841 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    No, Rufus is installed on a Windows computer. Put a stick in the computer's USB slot. Then simply run Rufus-xxx.EXE file. It finds the stick to partition GPT, format  FAT32. Then you choose the installation ISO you want Rufus to put on the stick. Rufus has very easy friendly interface. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• JackE
    Answer ✓
    Always dangerous to remove supervisor password. Just don't forget it. Yes, re-enable secure boot. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

Answers

• JackE
    If you can F2 into the BIOS, you must first set a supervisor password. Then enter the BIOS with the password and disable secure boot. Boot stick must be GPT partitioned, not MBR. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Drifty
    Answer ✓
    Maybe? Dl'd macrium  and when tried to build emergency backup, there was no USB choice..cd/dvd. This is the issue NO USB access setup from bios.
  • Drifty
    Answer ✓
    will bootstick have any identifying folders that tell if i did make it for gpt?
  • JackE
    No, you must use a program like Rufus to make a GPT-partitioned FAT32 bootstick with a boot iso file. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Drifty
    you Sir are a GodSend! I have been working at this with different folks at Bleeping computer since 11Jan. !2 hrs or longer a day!!!
    BTW, leave changes to BIOS ?
  • Drifty
    Answer ✓
    um, well i used macrium to make to stick...it worked and am restoring back to 11 dec from usb SSD now...

• Drifty
    Answer ✓
    well I found RUFUS...must I be on the UEFI drive when making the boot stick? Can I use it on either type of machine? Thanks !!!
  • Drifty
    Not trying to be a pest...just need to know if I should change BIOS settings back...

• JackE
    Answer ✓
    No, Rufus is installed on a Windows computer. Put a stick in the computer's USB slot. Then simply run Rufus-xxx.EXE file. It finds the stick to partition GPT, format  FAT32. Then you choose the installation ISO you want Rufus to put on the stick. Rufus has very easy friendly interface. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Drifty
    change BIOS back? remove superv PW, secure boot?

• JackE
    Answer ✓
    Always dangerous to remove supervisor password. Just don't forget it. Yes, re-enable secure boot. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ