XZ321Q or XZ321QU

2»

Comments

• nikitos569
    nikitos569 Member Posts: 7

Tinkerer

edited January 2019
    Hi everyone,
    I want to buy a new monitor. I own an Nvidia GPU, but G-sync is really expensive. Recently Nvidia confirmed G-sync compatibility on a few Freesync monitors. I had my eye on the XZ321Q https://www.acer.com/ac/en/GB/content/model/UM.JX1EE.005 , but it's only 1080p, Then I discovered there is a XZ321QU aswell https://www.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/model/UM.JX1AA.003 , which is 1440p, but not on the supported list. Now, will G-sync work with the XZ321QU, or not? The only difference seems ot be the resolution, unless I'm missing something.
    Your question was "will G-SYNC work with the XZ321QU". The answer to this question is yes, it will work. The flicker problem is not unique to this monitor, even monitors with a g-sync module have the flickering when LFC is activated or when there is a big fps drop. The difference between a freesync monitor and a monitor with a g-sync module is that a monitor with a g-sync module has a sync range of 1 - 144hz and sync can be used in windowed application.
    www.youtube.com/watch?v=bmjpPP0tI80
  • heart_of_the_tiger
    heart_of_the_tiger Member Posts: 9

Tinkerer

edited January 2019
    k... I guess that answers that. Those issues are pretty bad. Maybe I'm just extra sensitive to rapid color/brightness changes, be they ever so subtle. But I don't think all g-sync monitors have that problem. Makes no sense.
  • nikitos569

Tinkerer

Look at google sheets with monitors that have been tested and choose a monitor that doesn't have issues and has the specs that you like (1440p 144hz for example)
  • nikitos569

Tinkerer

Update: guys, I fixed the 'screen going black' problem and also managed to reduce the flicker while using FreeSync. You need to download a program called 'Custom Resolution Utility' (CRU for short) and change the FreeSync range of the monitor from 48 - 144 to 58 - 144.
    How to do it step-by-step:
    Disable FreeSync in NVIDIA Control Panel and then on the monitor.
    Start CRU.exe
    Click on 'Edit' on the top (to the right of the name of the monitor)
    In the field 'V rate' change the left value (48) to 58
    Click 'Ok' and then 'Ok' again
    Launch 'restart.exe', your monitor will restart
    Do not close the window with recovery mode
    Enable FreeSync on the monitor and then in the NVIDIA control panel
    The monitor will restart. If your monitor is still black, press F8 and lower the FreeSync range to, for example, 52 hz